Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - radiator leak?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 - radiator leak?
    Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 9:59pm
Hi,

I'm not having much luck with my 2003 Primera as not only does it have a whining noise - when it starts cold - but I now think i have a radiator leak or a leak in that area anyway.

I noticed a few days ago a wet patch under the front of the car.  I'm not too sure where the 'leak' is coming from as it's not all that obvious when i look/feel under the car above the wet patch, although I did check the radiator fluid and it was nearly empty so i filled it up and the wet patch appeared to have disappeared.  However, today the wet patch appeared again and the radiator is nearly empty again.  I've filled the radiator up but i'm baffled as to why the leak only appears when the radiator is nearly empty and not when it is full

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem?  I'm not very mechanical minded so any help would be appreciated.
paulb View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 10:34pm
If it's a pinhole leak, it will only show up when the system is hot & pressurised - hence why you are losing the water after driving off. The wet patch will appear when you stop as the sytem will still be under pressure. Best thing to do is get the engine warm with a short drive, park up with it running and have a butcher's underneath. Maybe try the leak-fix stuff that's recomended elsewhere in the forums? (not radweld if I remember rightly)
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 11:53pm
Do you have air conditioning and is it on?
dragonheart View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:11am
yes i have air conditioning, but it's not always on

timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 3:59pm
When the air con is working you will get water under the the car
pixie123 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 9:57pm
Hello

i wondered if you managed to find a solution to your water leak problem as i think i have the same issue and i would really like to know how to fix it.

i have had to fill my radiator up twice in the last week as the water seemed to disappear.  I first noticed this when i saw some water dripping a little from under the car at the front near the drivers side, but i can't see where it comes from as there seems to be a 'metal plate/guard' thing where the water is dripping from.

does anyone have any idea what this leak is and where it is coming from?  I'm a student and can't really afford a big garage bill so any help would be great.

thank you
sjr4556o View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjr4556o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 7:23pm
Well Pixie123 the water pump is in that area or could be channeling water from damaged rad /pipe for a cheap fix try K seal probably your best bet at £8 ish you won,t lose a lot if it does,nt work it probably will take a couple of long drives to get engine hot and circulate thru system so dont expect instant results ,good luck
pixie123 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 8:10pm
Thank you sjr4556o,

I'll get some and give it a go.  fingers crossed it works!

just in case it doesn't, is a water pump expensive to fix? Is there a simple test that i can do to see if it is the water pump or rad/pipe.   I get a bit of a warning if the radiator is low on water as the car takes a while to heat up, but after i fill the radiator it gets warm quickly.

i'll keep you posted, thanks again Smile

pixie123 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 8:21pm
Hello again sjr4556o,

can i ask where i would buy some K Seal?  I've had a look at Halford's online and they only have Holts Radweld Plus (£7.99),  is this the same thing or am i way of track, (sorry but i'm not too good with mechanical things)
sjr4556o View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjr4556o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 8:57pm
You can buy it at most motor factors or off E Bay dont let them try and fob you off with a inferior product like radweld K seal in my opinion is the better option as for the cost of water pump first you have to pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from remove the plastic under tray from beneath the engine  and take it for a run till the engine gets nice & warm (with rad toppped up) then look undernweath to try and estimate where the leak is coming from as for the engine warming up after adding coolant  logicaly it should work in reverse( ie lack of coolant engine overheats) big problem the reason probably it seems to heat up is the sensor is placed in the stream of coolant so no coolant no reading till you have a sufficiant supply bypassing sensor so be sure to keep a constant eye on water level and if you do solve the problem remember with winter coming to top up with antifreeze to the recomended concentration .ps cost of pump approx £35 to £55 depending if its petrol or diesel & engine size + labour.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>