Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Earth problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisW4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Earth problem
    Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:00pm
Hi, I am new to the forum and have read an old post about a cheap earth fix.
I have a 55plate Primera and have the disco light effect on my driver side rear light cluster when I indicate right or brake or combination of the both! So I tried the cheap earth fix from a member but it blew a fuse and I had no indicators and the dash didnt light up. When I tried to replace the fuse it sparked before i pushed it in properley so I am reluctant to do so now as I dont have a bundle of fuses to go through. Could my problem be more serious than a bad earth or shall I just try and get a new light cluster?
Chris Confused
Stevie-Boy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Legend Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie-Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:11pm
Hi Chris and a big welcome to NPOC

I have edited your thread title and made sure it starts with "Nissan Primera P12.. (with further description)" - Please keep on top of that (it is explained in our forum rules):

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum-guidelines-rules_topic2&FID=1&PR=3.html

Point 2)

I've moved it into the correct forum section too for these sorts of queries.

Thumbs Up

Many thanks and take care,
Steve
2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Member of the Month: Jan 2014
ex P11 Si, P11 GT, P11-144 Sport+, P11 GT Turbo, P11-144 Wagon, Subaru Legacy B4 RSK, 350z, Type R
sprint View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:18pm
Sounds like you have earthed the live
1991 H eZX - standard minter
1992 J eGT - sr20ve
1992 J eZX 4x4 Turbo
ChrisW4 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisW4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:42pm
I dont think so, I followed the instructions exactly.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 4:01pm
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake

Your car is a 55 plate which points to it being a 2nd generation P12 where the new loom was fitted so generally should not suffer from the earthing fault, that said we have seen the odd occasion where this fix has been successfully applied to a 2nd edition.

That said there is no way adding and earth can cause a fuse to fail and therefore either something else is amiss or you are shorting the connector. Have you access to a multi-meter to check continuity/voltages?

The other reason for random dash lights is if there is a blown bulb so check all around the vehicle
ChrisW4 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisW4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 5:33pm

All the bulbs are okay, I can only presume I have done something wrong, I was confused as to why 2 wires and 2 terminals were required but the instructions only ever refered to one.

roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 5:40pm

You have most certainly shorted something out Chris

Roy
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by ChrisW4 ChrisW4 wrote:

All the bulbs are okay, I can only presume I have done something wrong, I was confused as to why 2 wires and 2 terminals were required but the instructions only ever refered to one.

I dont think so, I followed the instructions exactly

Confused
wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by ChrisW4 ChrisW4 wrote:

Thats if you do both sides you need 2

Ex: Primera P12 1.9dCi Estate<b
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 6:48pm
Have you connected as below?

Any stay bits of wire touching the bottom of the bulb or connecting to the thinner tracks and you will have a short from earth to live.

Post Reply Post Reply