Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Cam / crank sensors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griff1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Cam / crank sensors
    Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 5:26pm
Hi all , can anyone help me , I have a primera s 2003 1.8 petrol . My Engine light came on and the garage said it was the camshaft sensor, which I changed ( but not a nissen one ) but then still ran rough and hard to start sometimes , so the garage changed the crankshaft with a Nissan part . And said it would run better if I put a new Nissan camshaft sensor in as the one I brought didn't work very well and they put the old original back it just to get it started . Phoned Nissan got a new one fitted it and it wouldn't start ? ? ? But the box said crank ? . Phone Nissan and was told cam and crank sensors are the same ? So does it matter which one goes where ? And if that's the case why is it still hard to start and the light still on . Sorry for all the info . But getting confused . Surely the sensors are two different ones ? ?
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 5:35pm
Please note point 2)

I have edited your thread title for you on this occasion and started the thread title with "Nissan Primera Pxx.. (with further description)"". All future threads with incorrect thread titles, will be removed.

Many thanks and take care,
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
Griff1927 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griff1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 8:14pm
Hi , is there no one out there that can help please ! !
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 9:01pm
I'm pretty sure the sensors are the same, just fitted in different places.

The work by the garage does not sound logical to me and I would agree that what they have told you is confusing. Perhaps they are confused themselves.Confused

I have found this information in my records:

Crankshaft and Camshaft position sensors recall

8-12-2003 Recall of 108,563 1.8 and 2.0 litre petrol engines built 1998 - 2003 over angle and position sensors which can cause engines to stall and/or fail to re-start. Sensors to be replaced.

Go to: http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

And just select Nissan & Primera (no need to change or add anything else).

See my Nissan Primera P11-144 common faults and fixes guide:
Griff1927 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griff1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 9:14pm
Thanks for the info , someone has said to me that it may be the chain ? If changing both sensors have not solved the problem ? Any thoughts ?
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 9:35pm
Could be, assuming the code has been read correctly and it's not something else like the MAF sensor.
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 9:43pm

These are the codes for the crankshaft and camshaft sensor faults causing the engine light to come on:

P0335      CKP (Crank Shaft Position) Sensor
P0340      CMP (Cam Shaft Position) Sensor (Phase)
P0345     CMP Sensor (Phase)

I assume that both codes for crankshaft and camshaft were read by the garage which led to them replacing both?

The garage decided that the camshaft sensor was faulty, replaced it with a non-original one and it didn’t fix it.

Then they decided that the crankshaft sensor was faulty, replaced it with a genuine one and it didn’t fix it.

Then they decided it was the new non-original camshaft sensor that was faulty and replaced it with a genuine one and it didn’t fix it.

Sensors suffer internal failure sooner or later and need replacing.

These type of problems can also be due to a faulty MAF sensor (refurbished exchange cost about £50) but that would be a P01 code.

Bosch sensors (the make of the original equipment) and not other makes are recommended but they are cheaper from aftermarket parts suppliers such as Eurocarparts rather than the Nissan franchises.

I hope it's not your chain, but it is feasible for someone knowledgeable to replace it now that chain kits are available for a good price on eBay.
Griff1927 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griff1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 12:46pm
Thanks for the info , really chasing my tail on this one , the car won't start at all now ? Going to speak to nissen after to see if they can do a proper dianostic on it . Or should I just pay for both a new cam and crank sensors and fit them the same time , as they come in a pack now .
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 2:32pm
If the car won't start I can appreciate you will be pretty desperate so I hope we can help.

But to clarify, the car wasn't starting or running right and you replaced both camshaft and crankshaft sensors and it still won't start and run and now won't start at all ?

If so I wouldn't buy any more sensors just yet.Confused

Have you read the codes?

If I have a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light = Engine Light) I always get the code as this should help to diagnose the problem.

You can read it with an OBD II reader / scanner. Either borrow one or purchase relatively cheaply on eBay and keep for future use. Otherwise, any competent mechanic can read the code (or codes if there are more than one).

Once you know the code you can look up what it means and work out what is at fault from an informed position.

At the moment I still suspect the MAF as this sensor gives more trouble than the other sensors. The MAF is available much cheaper from Eurocarparts, Andrew Paige etc. than from the Nissan franchises but it must be the Bosch one.

There is also the Throttle position sensor which has been known to go wrong.

Also, I assume sensors can be checked to determine whether they are faulty.

It would be cool if you could get the code and post it on here and then we could help to interpret what is likely to be wrong using the depth of knowledge on the forum.
Griff1927 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griff1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:30pm
Thanks again , yeah had trouble starting it then put into my local garage , code came up cam sensor , so changed cam still trouble so then changed crank sensor , still starting trouble now just won't start . Will get the codes and post them . Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>