Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 1.9 dci mpg problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote navodruck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 1.9 dci mpg problems
    Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 12:39pm
Dear members can you help me sort out. 
recently i have bought P12 wagon  1.9 dci (120hp) 
as usual changed oil/belt/all filters/   

im driving like old man now, shifting before 2ooo, but still in city i got 8.5 L/100km(33.5 mpg). And our city is not so big :) 
last weekend i driven to fishing, reset counter, and drive 100 km ,straight , still only 7.2 L/100km(39mpg). 

what can be wrong? i tryed to unplug the MAF, the EML didnt turned on, and no diffirence in performance, and consumption. SO maybe its worth to buy new maf ? As im very jelous, how others have stable mixed style 6.5 L/100km . 

wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 9:21pm
Hi and welcome to the forums

To allow us to help you better, could you give us the build year and mileage?

is that mileage taken from the display or calculated from tank fillups?
The display tends to exaggerate a bit.

Also, check the rear brake calipers. They can bind causing extra consumption.
Check the earth straps from the battery to the engine and gearbox, too. Not saying that is the issue, but they do fail, and the p12 electrics need a good earth, unless all kinds of strange symptoms show up.
Is it running smoothly apart from the fuel consumption?

Then of course the weather influences consumption too, strong winds and cold can easily add 0,5 l/100 to my consumption. As does hilly terrain.
Really a lot of things can influence it.

Ex: Primera P12 1.9dCi Estate<b
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 9:40pm
If rear brakes are seizing like mine did the wheel will be hot - careful !!
See my Nissan Primera P11-144 common faults and fixes guide:
rowdy-gti View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowdy-gti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 10:03pm
Clean the MAF
Almera GTi Track Car: 8200rpm DE 191.8whp 211hp @ fly 156lbs torque 1/4 Mile 13.83 @ 101.75. 974kg without driver.....
navodruck View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote navodruck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 8:34am
the car is 2005 07month. 
215000 km at the moment 

this week will try to fill up whole tank, and drive thru ,to measure myself. as now only reading from copmuter.  Plus will buy new maf. 

also i tryed reset ECU like shown in help section, but it wont works, maybe as its 1.9 dci renault? 

the car is in perfect condition driving very smooth, no rottling , good idle, easy start up. 
wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 9:31am
The 1.9dci has a different ECU. You need an OBD code reader (available from ebay, couple of tenners).
If you have not done so, you could download the factory service manual that is available here. You'll find all sorts of info there.
Be sure to download the version with the 1.9dci.

There will be small differences though, as the manual is for the pre-facelift version (up to 2004).

ianrobbo900 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianrobbo900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 12:45pm
I was horrified when I got my P12 2.2DI estate - driving as carefully as I could, I could only get a best of 38/39 mpg on the readout.

But don't take any notice of that, it's rubbish - doing brim-to-brim checks, I'm averaging around 49mpg.

But even though the mpg isn't too bad, it's still the worst car I've ever had.
navodruck View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote navodruck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 10:34am
OK , you say clean the maf , but how to do it ? and do i have any chance, it will work again normal ? :)  Plus i have question about buying new one, i have two options, to buy chinese one cost 50 pounds here, or Oem siemens  100 pounds. I dont want to spend money buying original, so is there major difirence between them ?  
wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 11:34am
You said you unplugged the maf and nothing changed. If the maf is bad, you should have gotten a difference in running when you did that, it should have run better than when it was plugged in.
Therefore I am not convinced your MAF is at issue here. At the very least, have it checked first, for correct voltage.. Some types of maf respond well to cleaning, other types get damaged by the cleaning process itself..

I'd suggest you start with doing a real measurement, by filling the tank until you see it almost overflowing, drive till its empty, then refill again to the brim. Then you will know the true mpg. The display mpg Is not very reliable. My last tank was 5,7l/100 actual, 6,3 on the display (after over 800km). That's 10% off.
If that results in a strange number, look further. But don't start fiddling with the maf until you're sure you have a problem.

navodruck View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote navodruck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 7:26am
OK, my dear friends :) thanks for advices.  i filled up to the brim diesel, drove 370km, 70% city, 30% country roads, 
computer shows  8.0L/100km,  and after filling to the brim i got 26.55 L , so it was 7.2L/100km , so now im starting to be happy, but i want more economy :) i have seen in service manual, to inspect intake and exaust valves, where the hell these are? maybe they are clogged ? Also i want to get rid of EGR, can i just unplug it ? or i need something other to do ? 

Primera P12 2005 1.9 dci
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>