Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > NPOC Car Of The Month > 2013 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

February 2013 - JonGT (P11)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NPOC_COTM View Drop Down
NPOC Staff
NPOC Staff

COTM Staff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NPOC_COTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: February 2013 - JonGT (P11)
    Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 1:25am

Congratulations on winning February 2013 COTM Jon! Your Nissan Primera P11 GT is a credit to you as an owner (and the club) and seeing you out on track, representing the NPOC at the big National Jap Car Meets, always makes me feel proud!! How does it feel bagging this exclusive award and the awesome COTM trophy as well?

I'm over the moon, It was the last thing I was expecting! I happened to pull my phone out to check the forum the other day at work, when I got the message, PROPPA made my day (all whilst on the khazi) LOL.

Before we talk cars, modifications and mechanics, we’d love to find out about you the owner. Please tell us about yourself and what you get up to, away from the NPOC.

I live in sunny North London and I'm a fitness instructor at my local leisure centre.

I'm into music, go to the occasional rave / whatever and I've been mixing (DJing) Jungle and D'n'B since I was 15. Apart from work and cars I spend time at home with my family, mates down the pub, or just generally mucking about.

How did you find the NPOC forums and are we any good? Would you happily recommend the club to other Nissan Primera owners?

I've known about car forums / owners clubs for a while, so it wasn't too hard to find NPOC when I got a Primera.

I would definitely recommend the club, would have been up the creek a few times without it!.It's a goldmine of info to say the least and from what I've seen and been told by mates about their car forums, NPOC is by far the most helpful and least biased club you could join.

When you joined the NPOC over 2 years ago, you came having just picked up your 1st P11 GT (which was another silver hatch).. But sadly that came to an unfortunate end.. Remind us what happened Jon?

Ahh! I was driving back home and as I was crossing a + junction (green light for me) a woman in a car to the right of me, decided she didn't want to wait for the lights and jumped straight out in front of me.. That, along with a few other issues  was the final nail in the coffin.

I guess there was a happy ending though, as here you are today winning Car Of The Month, with your second Nissan Primera P11 GT and she’s a corker! As most of us know, your GT today was a previous NPOC car, did this make it an easy decision to buy it?

Yes, in fact easier. I know there's the thing of bringing a 'new' car to the fold, etc, but I knew how well maintained and modified it had been by its previous owner, “DENNYBOY” and I needed a car ASAP, so was a bit of a no brainer.

Plus he had put a start button in it LOL.

It’s been awesome seeing your old man (hello Jon’s Dad!) join us last year at some of the club meets in his P11 144.. Who got their Nissan Primera first, you based on your Dads recommendation, or him based on yours?

He got one first about 5-6 years ago (a red P11 GX auto, gone now though) and took me for a decent drive and showed me a load of info on the internet, about the P11 and what was underneath and how good they are.

I have to ask (and do excuse me LOL) but being just 24 years old and living in London, isn’t car insurance on a Nissan Primera P11 GT like, feckin expensive!! How much are you paying?

To be honest it's not the worst. It is higher than some of the newer cars my mates drive but the car was a lot cheaper so makes up.!

And still on the age thing (you young sexy stud!).. Don’t most people in their early 20’s all drive chavved up Saxos / Corsas and Pugs? What got you into a 4 door family car, which most ignorant people would still only regard as a taxi at best?

Well, when I passed my driving test I got a few weeks insurance on my dad's first Primera and even though it was an auto, I bloomin' LOVED it LOL. From then on I needed a GT in my life.

Also I've never really been a fan of Saxos, etc and I prefer saloons to other types of cars (yes, I know the GT is a hunchback). Touring car racing in general is pretty much my favourite motorsport too and I'm genuinely not a fan of most 'new' cars, pretty much pre-2001 is my cuppa, so the Nissan Primera fits the bill perfectly.

That and the fact that it was the cheapest and fastest I could insure and had full leather and a good looking bodykit!

What were your previous rides (out of curiosity) before owning the Primeras?

I had a K10 Nissan Micra Super S in red, also very lowered. Pretty much died of rust.

On to the modifications, now would be a great time to tell us all about your gorgeous Nissan Primera P11 GT! So please list your full spec and all modifications, inside and out:

As mentioned, the previous owner did a fair bit to it before I bought it, everything marked with   was on the GT when I bought it from him.

Interior:

Plasma Dials + dial rings

Nissan Primera P11 144 Sun glasses holder

Nissan Primera P11 144 Seat heaters

Dash Surround painted black professionally

D1Spec Adjustable weighted gear knob (looks nice)

Start Button

ICE:

Pioneer Head Unit, (not really good enough as it's only got a rear pre-out)

JBL GT-5s with separate tweeters up front                                 

JBL GTO's in the parcel shelf, rear pillar speakers removed

Pioneer TS-W 12'' Sub + amp in rally spec mounting LOL

Cosmetics:

Nissan Primera P11 144 sport+ Wheels

Yellow Tinted Fogs

HID Kit on dip

Nissan Headlight Protectors

Quad Rear Light mod (stock 3 brakes)

Custom Deep JDM style Grills

Nissan Wind / Rain Deflectors

Performance:

Apexi' Power Intake + Stainless Steel intake pipe

Magnacore KV85 HT Leads

Ebay 2.5'' Manifold and downpipe

2.5'' LongLife Cat-back

Timing at 17*

Black Diamond Stage 2 Kevlar clutch

Custom Strut Brace (made by someone on here apparently?)

MeisterR Zeta-S Coilovers

Adjustable Poly Bushes in Upper Links

What’s the most enjoyable change you’ve made so far?

I'd have to say the Coilovers, they completely transform the looks and ride / handling!

If I gave £500 right now and told you it had to be spent on the car, what would you buy?

Nistune! Definitely. 

If money was no object and you could do anything you wanted to your Nissan Primera, what would you do?

Ohh, sooo much! I’d get one of those ridiculously expensive Japanese Bodykits, re-bush everything possible with poly bushes, stop all rattles etc.

And a Ve+T - Would go and sound epic.

Does London and a lowered car on coilovers, cause you much grief?

Yes and no. I don't mind going slow over bumps and that. I've got used to it as all 3 cars I've owned had been lowered. It does get a bit annoying as I can't get onto a good few drive ways, the ride is nice and smooth (mostly) though.

As I mentioned at the start of this feature, we’ve seen you and the GT out on track at a few events now (RESPECT!) and I’ve spoken to you when you’ve got back to the club stand and you always have a massive smile on your face! Did you always intend to start tracking the GT, or was it just something you wanted to try and then fell in love with?

I always wanted to track the old GT, but only got the suspension sorted a few months before it died. With this one, my first priority was getting the coilies etc, on by Japfest 2012. Since then I got the track bug, I'm gonna be doing as many days as I can this year (funds allowing).

Can you see yourself owning the car for a long time, or are you always thinking of something faster for your track days?

I'm not planning on getting anything else for the next few years anyway. If I did I'd have to find somewhere to keep the GT too.....

To most people on the street this Nissan Primera P11 GT will appear to be “standard” looking, is this how you roll, or is there secretly a cosmetically minded psycho inside of you, waiting to break out and lob some massive spoiler on the boot?

Nah, I prefer keeping things looking OEM+ for now, I'd like a nice set of wheels at some point, again though I would have one of those bodykits if they were cheaper!

Time for the quick fire question round!

How long have you been an NPOC Member? 
2 years?  

What makes you smile? 
Funny stuff.

What makes you sad? 
Not much usually.

Tell us something we don't know about you..
I’m a wicked DJ (even if I say so myself LOL).

Your favourite colour? 
Dunno, I like dark blue on cars a lot.

Your lucky number? 
Don't have one.

What will it say on your gravestone?
I haven't planned that far ahead yet...

Your favourite drink (any)? 
Lager / Coffee

If you could steal the keys to someone else’s car (on NPOC) for 1 day, which car would you steal and why? 

“ragt20”s N1 Pulsar, love the look and sound.

What’s been your favourite Club Meet to date and why?

Japfest2 2012 - Good fun on track and on the club stand and the weather was beautiful (except the drive home).

Now grab a soap box, stand on it and tell everyone who has never come out and joined us at a Club Meet, why they need to be getting to one?

Great days, great atmosphere, everyone makes you feel welcome and the banters golden too.

NPOC for life (regardless of what car you own and drive) or leg it when you change car?

NPOC For life baby!!

Tell Carlos Ghosn why he needs to bring back the Nissan Primera brand:

Well at the moment maybe he shouldn't, Nissan don’t seem to be in the same market they were 15 - 20 years ago, so if they did make another Primera it would probably be an eco safety shit-box like the Note.

Because you are a geeza from Landan Tarn.. I figured I’d ask you this one. I watch a load of Brit Flicks, as I’m passionate about films and most of them involve London and a lot of todays youth. Do they really all say “fam”, “blud” and am I gonna get “shanked” for my phone or “merked” for my wallet?

LOL, Not all of em!

From 2013 onwards in every COTM feature, my final question to all winners is going to be this one... If you could change 1 thing about the NPOC Forums, what would it be and why (and don’t be shy)?

Nothing to be honest, it’s all good man.

Many thanks for telling us all about yourself and your Nissan Primera P11 GT Jon, you have a cracking car! Congratulations once again for winning Car Of The Month for February 2013! Please end this feature, in your own words and feel free to thank anyone who’s made this one possible.

“DENNYBOY” for keeping the car so clean and looking after it so well.

My Dad for the use of all his tools and help.

My mate Khin for doing a lot of the photos.

Anyone on here that I’ve bought parts from.

NPOC in general for all the help and tips.

Congratulations once again to Jon!

February 2013 COTM - JonGT

Written by essNchill
 Post Reply Post Reply