Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12: Ignition Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olatona1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12: Ignition Problems
    Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 11:01pm
Good People of this Forum,

I need some help! I have a Nissan Primera, P12, 2003 T-spec Model.

When I insert the ignition key and turn to start the car, the engine does not start....if i remove the key for a few seconds to a minute and re-insert it the vehicle starts. I got some feedback that this may be an ECU problem.

Has anyone come across this issue ? Any advise on how to sort this out will be very much appreciated.

Warm Rgds,

Oloriakojo
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 11:19pm
This has been experienced by quite a few of our P12 members.. My girlfriend has a P12 and we have both experienced the exact same issue during the last year. We do as you have mentioned, just take the keys out, lock the doors and unlock the doors (with the remote) and then stick the key back in and bingo it starts! It does it with both sets of keys.

In a nut, we just live with it... It's like a trait of owning a P12 LOL. It doesn't happen every day or every week.

It is certainly NOT an ECU fault.. If anything it will be a NATS issue.

There are loads of topics that cover this on here but no real known fix or cure.

Many thanks and take care,
Shaun
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 12:04am
Surprising that there is not a cure for it !

I would say its the NATS playing up,it's as if not recognizing the key etc,until it's inserted again. 
davidoxtaby View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidoxtaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 12:34am
I had this also and, following the instructions given by Timeshock I cleaned up the terminals in the ignition amplifier in the steering column and has been fine ever since. It just cost £5 for a bottle of electrical contact fluid and 20 minutes of my time, took the casing off the steering wheel and cleaned it up. Maybe that will work for you too.
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 2:00pm
Thanks for that helpful advice.

However, I would not advise you to spray the terminals of the ignition amplifier with electrical contact fluid costing £5.

As a typically tight Yorkshireman I would recommend that you borrow some Big smile.
See my Nissan Primera P11-144 common faults and fixes guide:
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidoxtaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 2:40pm
Actually redshark1, I am only an honorary Yorkshireman but I do still come out in a rash when parting with money LOL. I am going to make that fluid last an age!
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 4:44pm
Maybe we could chip in and have a can we pass around NPOC, you are never going to be able to use it allLOL
You may want a read of this

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-nats-problem-urgent-please_topic47690_post632843.html

In essence take the cowl off the steering wheel remove the ignition barrel, wrapped around it is the NATS antennae, clean it up and put it back together again

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidoxtaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 10:04pm
Hi Timeshock, no problem with me. If anyone does want to use it then I am happy to send it to them (for a low rental fee Big smile). Darned useful stuff
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidoxtaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 7:21pm
HI Timeshock, think I need your help. Last Saturday I cleaned the terminals as you suggested and has work ever since. That is until this evening, same thing again. Should I reclean the terminals into the amplifier again in case it wasnt cleaned properly the first time ?

dragonlord View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 10:12pm
Hi.
Not sure if your problem is exactly the same as mine but I recently had problems with starting my P12. Basically I put the key in the ignition and sometimes it would start and other times nothing at all.
Also, when the car did refuse to start there were times when you could hear an audible click and again other times when there was nothing.
The mechanic I use told me that he thought it was the starter motor. obviously after some helpful advice from this forum I doubted what he was saying.
last Tuesday I managed to get the car to start and took it to him.
When I got there I turned the car off and typically when I tried to start it there was nothing. Before we did anything else the mechanic jacked the car up and told me to turn the ignition as soon as I heard him banging the starter with a hammer. It started first time so he was convinced that this was the fault. He fitted the new starter and it has been fine ever since. Fingers crossed he was right. It cost me £148 for the new starter + £40 and a free sports massage from me for his time.

Might be worth considering the starter if it keeps happening, after all, it is a moving part and they do wear out.
This site is great and everyone is sooooo helpful. Thanks Guys & Gals
 Post Reply Post Reply