Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 2.2 Dci 04 Changed timing chain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2.2 Dci 04 Changed timing chain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicaneauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2.2 Dci 04 Changed timing chain
    Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 2:08pm
Hi all, can anybody shed some light for me.

A friends car's timing tensioner failed due to bad chain I presume and the engine suffered catastrophic failure.
Some chancers changed the head an reused the old chain.
He came to me with the car not idling and throwing p0016 and p0036.
When I found out that the chain was reused, I set about changing the primary and secondary chains as per the esm.
Now it's still acting the same, slow to start, and clunking on idle. Slightly better in that it stays running but still not idling right.
I swapped both sensors for 2nd hand ones, no change, checked all wiring to the ECM for continuity, earth leaks and positive leaks. Fixed a broken main engine earth.
The only thing about the sensors is that the read 900 ohms resistance instead of 1800-2400 as the manual states.
I doubt both are gone.
The car acted fine ONCE on a test drive after the mil came on, the only problem was the mil.
The rest if the time it's in limp mode with bad idle.

I'm at my wits end so any help is much appreciated.

Ac
Chicaneauto View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicaneauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 2:09pm
Sorry p0336 and p0016 NOT p0036
Chicaneauto View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Chicaneauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:32pm
Just for the benefit of others, the problem I had was that the vacuum pump sprocket on the camshaft on the x-trail head that was fitted by another garage is slightly different in design to that on the p12.

It has a ramp before the top dead centre interrupter protrusion and led to an incorrect cam pulse reading.
Funny enough this fault threw a crank related DTC.

Three weeks and the purchase of an oscilloscope later we finally got there!
edk_N16 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Edwardo Del Dervo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edk_N16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:45pm
Great info, thanks

Glad it's sorted!
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 8:53pm
Great feedback thanksThumbs Up
Miller5 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miller5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Chicaneauto Chicaneauto wrote:

Just for the benefit of others, the problem I had was that the vacuum pump sprocket on the camshaft on the x-trail head that was fitted by another garage is slightly different in design to that on the p12.

It has a ramp before the top dead centre interrupter protrusion and led to an incorrect cam pulse reading.

This sounds like the problem i am having!!

I just fitted a FAI/Lucas timing chain kit http://catalogue.faiauto.com/parts/TCK41#anchor to my 2004 p12 2.2 dci primera. it also comes with the vacuum pump camshaft gear, chain and tensioner, but the gear is of a different design to the original one and is also missing the locking pin.

I am now getting a camshaft sensor fault and i believe it is being caused by the different design of the sprocket as it does not have the 5 raised parts for the sensor to pick up?

Could you tell me how you sorted the problem using the other gear or did you buy a genuine gear from nissan?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Chris

CarbonTec View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbonTec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Chicaneauto Chicaneauto wrote:

Thanks ALLOT mate!! Smile You saved me hours of wondering what the hell is wrong with the car! Clap

Just for benefit of others, the difference of the sprockets is shown on these pictures: 
 Post Reply Post Reply