Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 top link question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenniskerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144 top link question
    Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:11pm
Hi folks, I'm new here so First off Hello, these forums seem like a friendly and very useful place for primera owners! I'll be sticking around.

I own an p11-144 1.8 primera, I'm in the middle of preparing her for the NCT (Irish version of the MOT for all those U.K. based). She's well cared for with a good service history and 122k miles on the clock. I've sorted many of the small niggly problems that have been bothering me, but one remains which I hope ye can help me with.

I'm getting a fairly severe knocking noise/feel in the front suspension when hitting potholes and small bumps, especially at slower speeds. Changing a c.v. joint today I didn't notice any thing particularly worn or with much play in the suspension. No leaking struts etc. Researching further I found out that the top links in these often give trouble, and have a sneaking suspicion that these may be the culprit. 

Although there is no play in the arm, the bushings do look worn and the arm appears to be off centre.
Anyone out there have experience with this that could help me out? From looking at the attached picture would you say its time to replace my top link bushings? Any help much appreciated :) Rob. 

SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:18pm
When my top link was knocking, I could feel play in it if I grabbed my hand around the joint while someone else bounced the suspension.  This seemed to be more obvious if the car was facing up an incline.
1997 2.0 SLX P11
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:29pm
I would replace it,the top link is well off center,due to the bush deformation,have you checked the other side top link,

Always best to replace top links in pairs.Then you probably would need an alignment also.

They not that dear or hard to replace.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:31pm
I have just remembered also that you can get the bushes separate for around 8 quid a pair,so 16 quid all in for what you would need,easy to do also.Saves you buying the actual top link.
MiniGT View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MiniGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:34pm
Much easier to just replace the top links as a whole. They are not expensive, about £20 each off ebay.

Also there is a guide on here for changing the top links you could see if you became a paying member. Thumbs Up
jpenniskerry View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenniskerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:07pm
Thanks for the quick replies, very heplful Thumbs Up Looks like its time to sort the top links out.

Originally posted by MiniGT MiniGT wrote:

Much easier to just replace the top links as a whole. They are not expensive, about £20 each off ebay.

Also there is a guide on here for changing the top links you could see if you became a paying member. Thumbs Up

This is an option, although having a quick look though ebay postage to Ireland seems to be on the steep side... I can pick up the bushings at trade prices in a local motor factors so may enquire if they have whole new top links available. If they are available at a reasonable price, I'll probably go for them... nice new shiny suspension parts are quite satisfying! Thanks for the tip. I'm sure I will have no trouble replacing them as it's very straightforward. I am however considering paid membership, as it seems to be well worth it for the d.i.y'er Thumbs Up

Originally posted by p11primeragt p11primeragt wrote:

I have just remembered also that you can get the bushes separate for around 8 quid a pair,so 16 quid all in for what you would need,easy to do also.Saves you buying the actual top link.

Cheers for the reply, I'll be replacing the lot in one go. Haven't had a look at the other side but I suspect it's in a similar condition. Out of interest have you replaced the bushings in yours before? If so is a press required? Have access to a workshop with a lift and full tool set, but not a press.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:13pm
Yes i have replaced them before,no press required,just your hands and grease.

Local motor factors sell the whole top links for 20 to 30 quid each.If that's the place you want to get them from

I highly recommend you replace both sides also,if you do just one,the good one will put more stress on the other etc imo causing it to fail quicker.
jpenniskerry View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenniskerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by p11primeragt p11primeragt wrote:

Yes i have replaced them before,no press required,just your hands and grease.

Local motor factors sell the whole top links for 20 to 30 quid each.If that's the place you want to get them from

I highly recommend you replace both sides also,if you do just one,the good one will put more stress on the other etc imo causing it to fail quicker.

Sound, cheers! Ya both sides is the way to go for sure I agree. I'm considering poly bushings later down the line also, probably worth it in the long run. But for now a new set of standard links should have me sorted.  
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:29pm
Yeah best get the problem sorted first,then save up maybe for some poly bushes.

If you do decide you want to buy poly bushes,let us know,many people have fitted plenty of them in various area's,i myself know what's good and what's not as regards to the poly's
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:31pm
Welcome to NPOC,

You sound like you know what you are doing but this might help
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/top-link-replacment_topic64375.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>