Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - Engine sound when on idle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 6:23pm
You really need to get a recording of the noise with bonnet up,then we can help you pinpoint the problem area,as up to now where all guessing lol.

A slipping belt would only cause hesitation if the engine was belt driven not chain driven.
cxyra View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cxyra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 7:25pm
I was asking about a loose belt from alternator because i have read that on some Primeras low voltage was the cause of the hessitation a other problems. As for the recording i will try this week because i'm dying of curiosity to know what it produce it.
One thing is for sure, this week i will defenetly find what is the cause of the hessitation and this stupid sound because i'm sick and tired of this.
Tommyaleks View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommyaleks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 11:06pm
Don`t forget the screw driver and your ear option :) you may not hear it now but try it out. if it`s mechanical the sound is there, if it`s something with your engine, alternator and so on, the sound is there, it`s not going away, but you will need tools to hear it. Run the engine up to 1500-2000 Rpm and listen to it.
phantomd View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 9:42pm
Hey!!

I have the exact same problem. What i have tried:

I changed the battery.
I changed immobilizers.
I added oil.

I just got this problem 2 hours ago. But i will bring it to mechanican tomorrow to see this problem further.

Keep me posted. I keep you posted!

phantomd View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 10:05am
Hey!

I went to the mechanic today, and he tore apart the engine and saw that one cylinder was out of play.

He will call me later when he knows how bad it is.
cxyra View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cxyra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:05pm
Hi phantomd, i don't think that the cause of the sound is an "out of play cilinder " because for me that sound it isn't present all time. My mecanic said that the sound is coming from the pinion/rotor/bearing of the alternator, one of those and said that there is nothing to worry about for now. Did you looked on the video i posted with the sound ? It's the same sound ?
phantomd View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:59pm
yes, all the hesitation on low revs and weird sound are exactly the same.

does your car vibrate more than before?
cxyra View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cxyra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 3:54pm
No, the level of vibration its the same as before. I think if it would be an '' out of play cilinder'', normaly would lose compresion resulting in poor idle and unable to gain high speeds.
For me sometimes when i start the car it start normaly and drops to 725 rpm smothly as itis normal and sometimes when i start the car the sound it is present and the rpm fluctuate below 1000 rpm say at 800 - 850, then either the rmps drop to normal (725) after 2- 7 seconds or i need to rev it up a little to make the sound to dissaper (as you saw in the video).
The sound it is present all time or it is intermittently like mine ?
Does your mecanic checked the tension of all the belts or the rotors/ bearing / flywheels of alternator, ac compressor and other that are drived by the belts ?
Has he checked to see if the sound is still there when he remove the belts on at a time ?
cxyra View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cxyra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 3:55pm
One at a time *
phantomd View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 6:38pm
yes, we are 100% sure it is not the belts or chains.

but im starting to think we have different problems then.

my problem is when i try to overtake, the engine feels like it dont have the power it used to.

when its on idle, it keeps weird noise.

and it has hesitation on low revs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>