Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New P10 owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scouse boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New P10 owner
    Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 8:30pm
Hi guys,

I'm the new owner of Tom's P10 :)

I am having a bit of a problem though. My idle was dropping to around 4-500 when my clutch was dipped but would return to around 800rpm after a few seconds. My friend advised me on some carb cleaner. We wasn't too sure where to spray it so he took off the throttle body and spray in there. Refitted and started the car. The car is now idling roughly and not going over 2500rpm. I have done some research and realised that the plastic screw should be removed and then spray the carb cleaner down the hole.

How can I fix this issue?

There is a sensor next to the throttle body so would that need replacing>

See attached images.

Many thanks,

Craig
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 8:58pm
sensor next to the throttle body is the TPS sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, there is some info in the 'How to section' to make sure it is set to the correct position. 

also in the same info thread should be information to check and set the base idle, which will affect the idling of the car. 

if you removed the plastic screw which adjusts the base idle, it has to go in and setup correctly, just winding it in will give you problems with idling...

has to be set correctly 
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
Scouse boy View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scouse boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:04pm
Thanks for the info,

Do I need to replace the TPS then? Any chance the carb cleaner may dry out overnight and be ok in the morning? lol

Craig
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:11pm
Carb cleaner will evaporate off,so no worries about it taking a long time drying.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scouse boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:12pm
So it should be ok tomorrow? or do I need to replace the TB / TPS?

Am so confused and need the car working by Tuesday

Thanks
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:16pm
no you don't need to replace any of those parts, they ain't gonna go wrong just cause of a bit of Carb cleaner on them...

if the position of the sensor was moved, then that will cause big issues, same with the idle adjustment screw...
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scouse boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 9:19pm
Ok, I will give that a look tomorrow.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it :)
gazandsue58 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gazandsue58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 10:17pm
Thought I recognised the Red Devil, really smart looking car hope the fault clears.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scouse boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 11:08pm
Cheers man, will keep you all updated.

Hope to make JAE this year so be good to meet some members of the club

Craig
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scouse boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 1:23pm
The car is now running :) The timing is out and is idling around 1000rpm once warm. Do I continue to adjust the TPS or take it to the garage to get the ignition timing set?

Any help is greatly appreciated
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>