Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 What to do with it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144 What to do with it?
    Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 10:07pm
My W reg P11-144 apparently thinks it's a Datsun as I've been told it won't pass another MOT due to rust.....everywhere. Chassis sections (I had welding done to pass the last MOT), wheel arches, tailgate around numberplate, underside of bonnet, and every bolt seems rust welded in. The mechanic asked if the car had been stored under the sea!!! The previous owner lived in Birmingham.....not aware of a sea near there, but I could be wrong.
Anyway, I tried a P12 and didn't like it so I'm getting a Mondeo. I know, a flippin Ford I hear you say. But I found the driving position and feel of the car similar to a Primera, and apparently Ford took a Primera apart to examine before they designed the Mondeo. I need a family car with a large boot to carry my amps and guitar for gigs.
So I'm really sad to have to say farewell to my Primera and the NPOC, we had some good times.
Farewell......

Some text removed by a moderator - We wanted to leave the rest, so you could say goodbye :)
Solvalou View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solvalou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 10:39pm
Sad to hear your woes, never knew that a Primera as modern as a 144 would have that much excessive rust, must be some pretty hash salt on the roads around Brummieland. Nether-the-less, there's nothing wrong with a Mondeo, just aslong as it's a good example (FSH is a must), even if it's a bit boring. Also from what I recall, you are correct. Apparently when the P10 hit the market, it shook up the car industry and very few saloons at the time were considerd "driver's" cars, that is one's that wernt made into them via a 'Sports' line or the elite German Panzer-'loons.
The Mondeo was a huge leap for Ford from the Sierra and it's kind-of the same story for Vauxhall's Vectra and many other rivals. I still think it took another generation or two before it had a real rival however...

I had a '51 Accord before I went back to a P10 and I can honestly say that both cars are excellent in terms of driving position and handling. The P10 is a little sharper steering and better on country roads and the Accord surpassing the P10 in terms of refinement and performance (at a big cost of MPG sadly).

Hope the Mondeo works out well for you anyway!
MikeEH View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 10:49pm
Thanks for your comments. Actually one of the very very few parts of the car that has no rust is the front cross member just below the radiator. From my experience, this seems one of the first items to rust and cause an MOT failure. And mine's near perfect......ah well, you win some, you lose some, you lose a bit more, then you lose the whole bl***y lot!
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 10:51pm
Just out of interest had the car ever been under sealed?

The Mondeo is a very good drive,i've driven few of late,totally agree with you about the driving position being spot on.
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 9:52pm
How much for the crossmember?

Just kidding! I had the original mondeo and remember it fondly - it was very good but my primera has been better overall.
See my Nissan Primera P11-144 common faults and fixes guide:
MikeEH View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 10:35pm
The car seems to have the factory applied underseal, but parts of the rear floor and chassis box sections are almost rusted thru. I can feel the thinness with my fingers - dare not try a screwdriver!  My previous S reg Primera 1.6 is still going with 200K odd on the clock and not a square centimetre of rust anywhere. Just must have been unlucky with the P11-144. Engine's really good and quite nippy only done 106K, no smoke or losing oil, and was hoping the car would have lasted another 6 years or so......alas, not to be.
 Post Reply Post Reply