Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Engine Management Light

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Engine Management Light
    Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 11:25am
Hi

I have a Nissan Primera SL 52 reg with petrol engine. I had a problem a couple of years ago when the engine management light came on and there was a significant power loss. A sensor was subsequently changed and this resolved the problem. Recently the EML started coming on again intermittently - it is now on all the time and the car is losing power again.

It will happily go up to around 2000/2500 revs and then starts "lurching" until it gets to around 3000 revs and settles but I can still feel it hesitating slightly. If I have to go up a steep hill the power just keeps on dropping. Another strange problem is that if I have to stop for a short while e.g. to fill up with petrol, I have serious problems getting the car to start again - it turns over but doesn't fire immediately - this only happens when the engine is hot.

A new problem reared its head the other night when I was sat at the traffic lights with the car in neutral and the engine just stopped. Couple this with the above starting issue and it was all rather embarrassing!!

At its recent MOT there was an advisory of a blowing exhaust and I was informed that this could be causing the problem. A mechanic told me a while ago to stop using cheap (i.e. supermarket) fuel but this has made no difference.

Any ideas out there would be very gratefully received as I really cannot afford to take it to a main dealer for diagnosis!
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 9:08pm

hi and welcome to the forumHandshake

you need to read the engine fault code a repeating series of flashes by the eml, and report the 4 digit code back here

belly939 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belly939 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 9:41pm
where are you from colette i have a diagnostics tool and am happy to help if your local
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 9:45pm
Hi Colette and welcome to NPOC Thumbs Up.

There should be no need for you to take your car to a main dealer - your well-written post suggests you are capable of helping yourself Wink.

You can view the following information as a non-paying guest here at NPOC:

You can read the engine management light code yourself by following this procedure;

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-all-engines-read-reset-ecu-fuel-pump_topic54932.html

You can if you wish download the factory manual here;

If you read the code but don't know what it means you can post back here and we will tell you Smile.
See my Nissan Primera P11-144 common faults and fixes guide:
Colette View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 6:16pm
Thanks everyone - I will try and get the code and post it here. I really appreciate your help.
Colette View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 3:49pm
Hi again

Been away so left it 'till now to try the diagnostic routine as suggested.

Here are the error codes flashed out:-
10 slow flashes
3 fast flashes
3 further fast flashes
5 fast flashes

Any assistance with what they mean would be very gratefully received as the problem has worsened considerably!

Many thanks again for all your assistance so far.
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 5:00pm

Hi Collette and well done reading the code Thumbs Up.

0335 = crankshaft position sensor

It hopefully just needs a new sensor. If so that would be good news Smile.

If so I see they are not too expensive around £20 (on eBay and elsewhere) Smile and you would be well capable of fitting it yourself (just ask for details when you come to do it - the connector is a bit fiddly if you haven't done one before) . Just google images for nissan primera crankshaft sensor.

What sensor was replaced last time? Can you find out?

Your symptoms would seem to match the code.

Which engine do you have (1.8?) and how many miles?

I know that you can check the sensor is faulty if you want to. You are supposed to change the crankshaft and camshaft sensors round (they are interchangeable). If the sensor is faulty the code for the camshaft sensor would come up when it is in that position if you follow me.

If both codes are found i.e. 0335 (crankshaft sensor) and 0340 (camshaft sensor) then it would be likely that the timing chain has stretched. Replacing this is a much bigger bill. £400 I think.

I haven't heard anybody say its important to buy a Bosch sensor in the case of the camshaft / crankshaft sensors. With the MAF sensor we advise purchasing the original Bosch version as we have often had problems with other brands (me included).
See my Nissan Primera P11-144 common faults and fixes guide:
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 5:26pm

As stated 0335 is related to the crank shaft position sensor.  What this means if it is correct is that there is a mismatch of reading between the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor, generally indicating a stretched timing chain.

You don’t state how many miles you have done, do you have a rattle on start up that disappears after a couple of minutes

This does not mean it time to panic though, there are a few things to do/check yet.

It could be there is a fault with the sensor, the connector or the wiring to it.

I recommend you download the free electronic service manual following the link below

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-factory-service-manuals_topic29493.html

It will show you where it is and also if you have access to a multi meter how to check it page EC- 1227 onwards should do it.  At least you will be able to check the connector and wiring.

It might be worth carrying out the simple earth fix, see link.

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-rear-light-removal-now-with-simple-earth-fix_topic16533.html

Also check the battery earth leads to the chassis and transmission, making sure you have good solid connection and no breaks.

Also check that the nearside head light protector is securely fitted and cannot block the air intake

Colette View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 5:52pm
I was rather proud of myself for getting the code! I even took a video on my 'phone so I could check back at the flashing error codes in case I mis-counted them!!

Miraculously I've found the invoice for the previous fault work and the parts replaced were the air flow meter and 2 Lambda sensors 2 years ago.

The MOT guys said they thought it could be the exhaust confusing the sensors as it is "blowing". All I know is the problem is getting worse - constantly juddering and hesitating and intermittently cutting out as I take my foot off the accelerator and slow down at junctions etc.

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 6:05pm
He could have a point, there is nothing certain with P12's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>