Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2.2, Black smoke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b16j0n29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2.2, Black smoke
    Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 7:40pm
Hi All,

Looking for some advice/assistance with a porblem I had had for the last few months.

I am getting a lot of black smoke under even normal drivinf conditions. I have done the fault code reads with ignition and accelarator pedal to get the following codes

P0103 and P0113

I have replaced the MAF with a cheapo from Ebay but it made no difference. I have cleaned the EGR valve, it did seem to be jamming when it was pushed down.

I don't know if it has any relevance but under accelaration I have a whooshing air like noise coming from my passanger side around engine.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 7:57pm
Whooshing air like noise sounds like it maybe has a boost/vacuum pipe leak.Any loss of power?
b16j0n29 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b16j0n29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 11:18pm
I was thinking air leak from somewhere, as a side note I appear to have a lot of diesel/oil not sure which on the underside of my bonnet.

I have checked oil and I don't seem to be using any but fuel economy is terrible

Thanks for reply
b16j0n29 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b16j0n29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 11:21pm
I seem to have a loss of power like the car is pulling back, you hear it sucking in air the pulls back then goes again and repeats same process like turbo is going the not going if you know what I mean
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 11:29pm
A possible boost leak can also lead to black smoke as it can make an engine run rich another symptom is bad gas mileage.

As for the substance,again seems like a pipe is split as that the only way something would get on the underside of the bonnet(under pressure),unless it's a leak from the pulley end of the engine as is being flung up by the drive belt etc.

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by b16j0n29 b16j0n29 wrote:

I seem to have a loss of power like the car is pulling back, you hear it sucking in air the pulls back then goes again and repeats same process like turbo is going the not going if you know what I mean

Is the engine jerky when accelerating ?
b16j0n29 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b16j0n29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 7:59am
Thanks for the help mate. Engine is not jerky at all, all of the substance seems to be over right hand side of the engine as you look at it. I think I know which pipe may be affected. I will post pic one I get dry weather. Cheers
b16j0n29 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b16j0n29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 6:53pm
Here is some pics I have taken of potential problems

and

The first picture shows a loose pipe on top of the air filter which i am not sure about

The second is a pipe that comes my turbo and appears to go the the intercooler but it looks like there is a lot of oil/diesel not sure, which seems to spray all over the underside on my bonnet?

Thanks

b16j0n29 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b16j0n29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 1:15pm
Any assistance on the above pics would be much appreciated. The black smoke is getting worse and fuel economy is shocking

Thanks
cxyra View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cxyra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 1:19pm
The first pipe from air filter is from gearbox, i have it too and that is supposed to be, it a vent for gearbox. (it's normal)
For the second pipe, if there's oil then:
1. either the clamp is loose and need to be tightened. Loose the clamp, take the pipe off and check inside and see if there's too much oil. If it is too much then the turbo it near to fail and you have either to repair it or replace (i reconditioned it and work as new). If there's a small amount of oil then try to tighten the clamp more and see if oil come's again (try to tighten all the clamp's from turbo all the way to EGR, if it's loose you lose pressure from turbo);
2. turbo is near to fail and you have to get the car to a good mechanic that knows about turbo to see the ax from turbo and tell you how long can you runs with the car like that until you decide to recondition or replace the turbo. (when it happened to me i didn't know that much about turbo a i skipped to nr. 2 and i've reconditioned the turbo after another 5.000 km but i didn't change gears more that 3200 RPM);
3. the EGR need's to be checked via a tester to see if all position are working, there are 24 as far as i've seen on my mechanic tester after he cleanned. You need either to clean it properly or put a mechanic to do it because needs to be cleanned the hole EGR, it isn't enough just the top part. I was having too black smoke but not much and only i accelerate the car parked, in no gear, after 2.500 RPM and that after the EGR was cleanned.

Now from what you are saying in your first post about the wooshing air seems to be loose clamp/s from turbo pip's or cracked pipe. Also check the intercooler to see if there's much oil in it, if it is clean it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>