Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 1.6 GA16DE - wierd noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 1.6 GA16DE - wierd noise
    Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 4:48pm
Hello All!

I hear some wierd noise from my beloved Primera P11's (1.6 GA16DE) engine.

The symptom:
- I start the engine, everything is fine
- the engine starts to heat up, it's OK
- when the rpm goes under 1000rpm, I hear that some wierd noise appears
- when the engine reaches the normal temperature and the rpm goes decreases to the minimum (6-700rpm), then this certain noise is continuous.

But:
- if I push a little bit the accelerator pedal, (just around 1000rpm) the noise disappears
- if I drive 20-30 minutes, the noise often disappears (not always, but often.)

I recorded a video, would You be so kind, to check it, please?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RMzSrDf9AU

The following parts are replaced:
- the alternator (it has a certain problem, so I had to buy another one)
- when the alternator was changed, I asked the mechanic to replace the belts (because this was my first thought as a possibility).
No change.

Then mechanic checked the source of the noise with a special tool and sad that the sound comes from somewhere here:

The ideas were:
- let's change the oil in the servo
- maybe the water pump should be changed.
So, fresh oil and new water pump - but no change. :S

Then we were talking about the timing chain. Can it be, or not? The mechanic said that in his opinion this part could be the source of the noise:

About the timing chain:
- the engine always starts for the first time, works very smoothly, during driving I can not feel anything wierd and fortunately no "engine check" lamp. I just hear this noise when the rpm is under 1000. But I don't like noises like this. And I would like my lovely Nissan to be healthy.

Do You have any hint or similar experience according to the video?

Any suggestion is appreciated!

Thank You in advance!
Grim View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

r1pp3R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 5:25pm
I suspect you have bad chain or guide maybe both. Simply remove your aux belts then start the engine. If the noise is still there you can rule out the alternator , aircon pump ect .
Sorry I scraped all those primeras ☹️
RS Tom-Hundred View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 5:27pm
Hi and welcome to the club Smile

My first thought was start of water pump issue but that is obviously not the problem if its been replaced.

The chain on the GA engine is much less prone to rattle noise than the SR20 as it is two chains rather than one long one (and this is less of a rattle noise anyway and more of a rubbing maybe)

Wouldnt have thought it was anything as major as the part you mentioned as I would expect a louder noise probably.  Could maybe be a tensioner or guide catching on the chain but would think it would be not just at that rpm range.

Long shot but are there any pipes or wiring that are in contact with any of the belts by mistake and causing the noise?

pragmatist_m View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pragmatist_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 7:39pm
I suspect your flywheel is bad/damaged. Thats how my P11-144 was bringing a weird noise.We didnt identify the source until the engine stopped starting. Lo and behold, when scanned and checked, flywheel and totque converter were damaged.

I suggest that you have the professional go under the car and inspect that area well.
Your car's problem may be solved if you don't give up.
p11p View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 9:00pm
Thank you very much for your help and ideas!

I wouldn't think it's a flywheel problem, because that is on the other side. This noise comes from the right side of the car, it's 100% sure. No doubt about it. That's why I placed there the camera.

I'm sure nothing is in contact with any of the belts.

Well.. I keep thinking...
Nnist View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nnist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 12:49pm
Propably upper chain, my ex-Primera made the same noise and it became almost intolerable until I got rid of the car.
dwbman View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 6:35pm
Hy! 

I have a Nissan Primera P11 with GA16DE engine. There is a same phenomenon in my car than was at you. Your story is an older one, therefore I hopeful that you found the source of the weird sound. If you so, please tell me what is the solution. Thank you!

pragmatist_m View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pragmatist_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 2:19pm
The weird noise was from damaged flywheel. You can ask your mechanic to check that.
Your car's problem may be solved if you don't give up.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by dwbman dwbman wrote:

Hy! 

I have a Nissan Primera P11 with GA16DE engine. There is a same phenomenon in my car than was at you. Your story is an older one, therefore I hopeful that you found the source of the weird sound. If you so, please tell me what is the solution. Thank you!

I got a P11 GA16DE and last winter noticed a 'rattling sort of friction noise' when I revved the car, kind of coming from the cam chain area , although it was hard to tell where the noise was coming from exactly with the aux belts/ alternator/ AC pump/ belts are all in the same area as the noise/ cam chain enclosure somewhat.

.. First thoughts were worn Cam chain or tensioner but c.chain seemed nice and tight. I was going to take the belts of the alternator/ water pump etc and see if the noise went with the belts disconnected. I suspected noise maybe coming from Alternator, Water Pump or Air conditioner bearings maybe abit worn, so would check for noise without the belts on...
However before I got round to doing that the weather heated up abit and when I went to investigate the noise further and pull the belts.... Strangely the noise had gone, in my case think it was only happening when the weather was cold, have heard alot of aux belts whine and make noise in the colder weather for some reason.

I suspect maybe something is abit worn on mine, hence the noise in the cold weather- be it the alternator/ water pump or AC or a belt itself even but now its gone I don't really see the need to pull the belts, although I will if it comes back bad.
If you have got a noise coming from this area then pull the aux belts etc and see if it disappears with them off.. ones first thought is often the cam chain but in my case think it is coming from cam chain but more likely to be alternator/ waterpump or AC or a belt itself. Also check tension on the belt systems.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:29pm
edit "If you have got a noise coming from this area then pull the aux belts etc and see if it disappears with them off.. ones first thought is often the cam chain but in my case think it is NOT coming from cam chain but more likely to be alternator/ waterpump or AC or a belt itself. Also check tension on the belt systems".
 Post Reply Post Reply