Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Front Member & brakes Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Front Member & brakes Help
    Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 2:20pm
Hi everyone. I took my car into National Tyres for a free health check and they said that the front cross member needs welding as its corroding and the rear driver side brake is binding. They told me that if the rear driver side brake is just a clean of the brakes that resolves it maybe it'll just be £50 but if its the caliper its £100 alone for the caliper. I just wanted to know i haven't taken them up on their 'estimated quotations' as they claim they can only give me a price once they 'open and look' at everything apparently.
Roughly from the above stated what is a fair price for everything and are these huge major issues that I shouldn't drive the car ?
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 9:13pm
See my Nissan Primera P11-144 common faults and fixes guide:
MasterRS View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 5:19pm
Well I've tried to maintain the vehicle as much as I can while I could afford it with services and MOT etc and regular health checks.I did get told there was a lot of corrosion due to its age (12 years old)..From what I understood they were saying it could be welded the front cross member..national were telling me though that they can't give me a guaranteed price until the works done is this normal and would you consider it justified?So the front cross member is a big job and about £400 to fix? The brakes £100..so altogether I'd be looking at £500? I was thinking about upgrading the next year so this has made me think a bit now.. They have a few coupons on their site and offer student discount..I wonder if these would be useful.
MasterRS View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 5:27pm
Hi thanks for the links they helped..but how would i check the cross member corrosion to see if its bad and what would i look for?
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:01pm
On mine I can see bits of the radiator support panel from the front of the car through the grille, from under the bonnet and rather more from underneath the car.

With the bumper off it is much much clearer what condition it is in so I would recommend you do this. The garage will not have taken the bumper off so you will have a much better idea than them if you do this.

You are looking to see if the corrosion has weakened the panel significantly and to see if the radiator is attached securely at its lower mounting points.

If the panel has rotted badly it will need replacing, but do check well as it may be plenty solid enough for a few more years as mine is.

I have had the radiator secured with bolts by a good friend on the forum as the radiator brackets had corroded.

Here's a view of the bottom of my support panel (where the rot is usually worse) from under bonnet:

The brakes will cost you £150 (£100 for caliper and £50 labour) if there is nothing more needed than a new caliper.

In my experience job estimates only go upwards which is why I do as much work myself as I can. Its often impossible to say exactly what will need doing and how long it will take but most garages will give an estimate and update you if they need to do more work if you tell them they need your authorisation before more work can go ahead.

Here is a pic of a new radiator support panel going in:
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:25pm
Very common area to rust on a lot of Nissans.
MasterRS View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:49pm
I see thank you so much for the help. So i'd be looking at the back or the front of the vehicle for rust? From what I understood the radiator is at the front right? I'm debating wether to leave these 'health check warnings' until next year and sell the car or get them done to be honest..
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:01pm
Front of car, yes!

What you need to do is check them yourself as I described above and then you can make the judgement. Pretty simple really.

Or, you need a friend to check them out.

Or, you need a mechanic you know and trust.

Or, you are in the hands of a garage that may well do what is in your interest but I have found that some do what is in their interest and charge accordingly.

But I'd say you need your brake sorting asap if it is binding as it will only get worse.

You could always get the garage to show you the binding brake and corroded support panel and see if you agree!
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:02pm
Front end,directly under the radiator.
MasterRS View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:04pm
The brakes for £150 I'll get done definitely, as I did what you said about circulating the wheel and they were making a noise (rear brakes) and thats clearly a question of safety. I'm going to check this corrosion however tomorrow and upload pics for you guys opinion? Will you help me? Just am no good at DIY..thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>