Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera Timing chain tensioner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean0493 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera Timing chain tensioner
    Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 7:22pm
On my dads p10 egt it has the common timing chain rattle on startup but this one is really bad just wanted to know if he replaces the tensioner will this stop the rattle, also why does it go quetier once run for a few seconds because the tensioner doesn't seem to be hydraulic, and does anybody know how much they are new and is it as simple as old one out and new one in. Thanks

ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 7:43pm
if it only rattles for the first few secs after startup and then disappears, that is perfectly normal.....ya only really need to worry if the rattle continues for a lot longer or comes on later as well
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
Sam View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
NPOC Gardener

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 8:00pm
well my engine is in bits all around the garage at the moment, and whilst it is in bits we decided that we would replace the chain and tensioner and allsorts.

the kit from nissan costs over £300

this kit for a p11 below cost me £130 from a local motorfactors. imported from chicago and here the next day.

but as g says if it is only there for a few seconds then it isnt worth doing it is a bitch of a job. and it costs a lot more than just the £130 pound stated above in just man hours. i.e. the sump has to come off to get the timing casing off. so you have to buy gasket maker on top of that (there are no gaskets on the bottom half of the engine) the only reason we are doing mine is because it was all in bits anyway

Lurch View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 8:05pm
eh...the tensioner (on a P11) is situated directly behind the oil filter...so it's a case of oil filter off, two bolts (carefully) and remove...new timing tensioner in...new oil filter on...and your done...about a 10 minute job if your handy with tools...

got mine to do hopefully this week...maybe next...

Sam View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
NPOC Gardener

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 8:06pm
sorry yer if your replacing just the tensioner it aint too hard but chances are if its wound all the way out then the chain aint too good. so if your replacing the chain aswell then its a huge job, 
Mr Pig View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 9:24pm
The start-up rattle can be eliminated by fitting a new tentioner from Nissan. They now have finer teeth than the older ones and cost around £50.
markbuts3 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markbuts3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 10:05pm
The tensioner is hydraulic. As Colin pointed out above there are different tensioners. The early ones have coarse teeth and a small oil feed hole, slightly later ones have a larger oil feed hole but still the coarse teeth. The latest ones have the large oil feed hole and fine teeth.

The significance of the finer teeth is that if the tensioner isn't quite out to the next tooth on the coarse one then it drops back in with no oil pressure and only goes further out when there is oil pressure. If the chain stretched a little or the guides wore a little then it would go onto the next tooth and probably stop rattling as much. With the finer teeth the chain doesn't go as slack when the oil pressure isn't present.

straightedge View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straightedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Lurch Lurch wrote:

eh...the tensioner (on a P11) is situated directly behind the oil filter...so it's a case of oil filter off, two bolts (carefully) and remove...new timing tensioner in...new oil filter on...and your done...about a 10 minute job if your handy with tools...

got mine to do hopefully this week...maybe next...

you might want to stick a rag or summat over the mouth of the oil pipe so you don't lose a bolt or other foreign bit down there when the filter's off.

that would cause some headaches......
rowdy-gti View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowdy-gti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 10:10am
The upper chain guide ( K. in sams pic ) can be removed if its fitted. This can cause a rattle on some engines and isn`t detremental to remove it.
Dean0493 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean0493 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 2:26am
Thanks for the help lads don't suppose anybody knows the part number for the latest tensioner, don't want to order a new one and it be old stock. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>