Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 1.6 Idle+cold weather=stalling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 1.6 Idle+cold weather=stalling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swaan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 1.6 Idle+cold weather=stalling
    Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 5:54pm
Symptom occurs when we have both of these:
1. Cold weather. Has not occured over 5c.
2. Idle.

It does not matter whether the engine is warm or not. MAF has been replaced, had 0 effect.
It starts again immediately, however if you happen to release the ignition too early - meaning it doesn't reach idle speed and stalls - it wont start again unless you press the accelerator at the same time. Without the accelerator it will go on and on just like there is no petrol in the tank. When you start it with the accelerator it will work as if nothing bad ever happened. Except the random stalling at idle.

OBD shows 0 errors and 0 pending. This is today, coolant at 50c, outside 3c, the bank 1 sensor 1 (O2) was the only one that fluctuated like that. It stalls twice during the graphing pictured below:

What to check now?

swaan View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swaan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 6:04pm
First, the problem got worse and worse:

started occurring with warmer weather. Uneven acceleration at lower RPM and now very recently also frequent problems starting the car unless pressing throttle (1/5th is enough).

Then a week ago the check engine light came on - camshaft position sensor. Unfortunately changing the (cheap) sensor didn't help at all. I got a good car diagnostics garage tip and they found the problem - worn timing chain. Clap
swaan View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swaan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 6:13pm
I must add that the current ODO is at 240 000 km so it was very surprising for me but when I think about the symptoms it all makes sense - there is slack in the chain and the cam and crank sensor data mismatches (among other things).
Build year is 2004 btw.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 9:52pm
Pleased you got it sortedThumbs Up
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by swaan swaan wrote:

Yes, good you pinpointed it, well done- guess 240k Km is a good amount of use, stretching/ failing cam chain or not.

Just wondering, what is the software/ scanner you used to get those nice little graph readouts?
I got an 'old' P11 and happily use the onboard diags but also would like to experiment with abit of software/ my laptop etc and wondered if this software / system maybe interesting to use? It looks good by the graphs etc. Know anymore about it?
swaan View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swaan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by d60_tag d60_tag wrote:

Yes, good you pinpointed it, well done- guess 240k Km is a good amount of use, stretching/ failing cam chain or not.

Just wondering, what is the software/ scanner you used to get those nice little graph readouts?
I got an 'old' P11 and happily use the onboard diags but also would like to experiment with abit of software/ my laptop etc and wondered if this software / system maybe interesting to use? It looks good by the graphs etc. Know anymore about it?

If P11 has a OBD socket then you need an adapter (ELM327 bluetooth or wifi is usable and cheap) and some software. Windows programs are more advanced but also more expensive by far. Android tablet or phone programs are much cheaper and perhaps also more convenient to use. I suggest to google "best android odb" and see what has the things you need. I use ScanMaster for Windows.

Cheers!
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by swaan swaan wrote:

If P11 has a OBD socket then you need an adapter (ELM327 bluetooth or wifi is usable and cheap) and some software. Windows programs are more advanced but also more expensive by far. Android tablet or phone programs are much cheaper and perhaps also more convenient to use. I suggest to google "best android odb" and see what has the things you need. I use ScanMaster for Windows.

Cheers!

Many thanks Swaan for this good information, can look into it. Do like those graphs/ graphics!

The P11's OBD is very good generally; seems for me so far (you just short a couple of pins out on socket to bring up OBD) but would like to see laptop/ software hooked upto it also and see what pops up/ sort of interesting to see software like this.
Thumbs Up
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 10:21am
In nordic countries the described behavior in first post indicates water in fuel. Condensation tend to happen on the sides of the fuel tank when temperature goes from above 0 to below 0 fast (as when parked in warm garage, then park outside in the cold), and when it gets warmer (0-5c) that water is mixed with fuel. Workaround is to keep the fuel tank as full as possible (leaving less room for condensation to happen) when such temperature changes is expected to happen.
 Post Reply Post Reply