Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 2.2 dCi - head gasket problem
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2.2 dCi - head gasket problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jylppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2.2 dCi - head gasket problem
    Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 2:16pm
Hi all!

Just wondering, how common is head gasket failure in 2.2 dCi engine?

My -05 primera started to leak coolant from left corner of the engine (from front, near water pump). It is coming between cylinder head and cylinder block - this was checked by local nissan dealer.

No symptoms whatsoever, just got "high temperature" -warning while driving normally, and radiator & reservoir tank were practically empty. I added some coolant and engine temperature was normal rest of the way home (about 10 km). At home take a closer look and noticed leak in the engine.

Otherwise everything seems to be OK, car works as before and there is no oil in cooling system or coolant in oil.

Could it be that head gasket failure was caused by something else, or did it just had enough? Car has gone over 382 000 kilometers..
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 3:23pm
At that mileage,it's not unheard of for the HG to fail or start to fail... as for being a common fault on the DCI,I've never heard of many people having HG problems. 

I think it's just down to the high mileage been covered,another thing that could case a HG to fail is a failing water pump leading to excessive temps over a period of time.

Would be worth compression checking the engine first if you're going to repair it just to make sure the rings ect ain't done also. 
Jylppy View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jylppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 4:51pm
Hopefully it is "just" because of high mileage and not anything else more serious. I was planning to change also water pump at same time, just to be sure. Thermostat and radiator cap might be also worth of checking?

I can ask if they can do also compression check before they start changing the HG.

Thanks for the info!

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 6:01pm
If the thermostat hasn't been changed in a very long time,then for the sake of what it costs i would replace also along with the water pump and HG.

Post Reply Post Reply