Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12: Disable airbag passengerside
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12: Disable airbag passengerside

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12: Disable airbag passengerside
    Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 9:52am
How would you go about disabling the passenger airbag in a P12? (for use of child seat)
Is it as simple as disconnecting the connector over the glow box?

(And before MOT, reconnect the connector, reset the airbag warning light)
OriginalGoth View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OriginalGoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 12:44pm
we shouldn't have to try to disable the system in this way, it should have been taken care of by Nissan so we can turn the passenger air bags off with a key or switch.

I'm usually the only person in my car so I don't want (God Forbid) to be having to replace the whole dash when turning off the passenger side should have been an option fitted as standard as is on most cars now.

I've had the experience of replacing the air bags and dash on a 2010 VW Golf because the owner didn't turn off the passenger side when he was driving alone........

It added about £800 to the overall cost of the work involved, side airbags fired, passenger seat bags fired, passenger dash fired, and the whole dash had to be replaced as well!!!!

Had he turned the passenger side off, all that would have fired would have been the steering wheel, lower leg airbag to push your feet off the pedals, and that was it.

It was good experience on replacing all of it though.

I didn't buy it because I had to have a car, I bought it because I had to have a Primera
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 3:52pm
The P12 has warning labels on the end of the dash and door pillars warning that no child seats or children should be placed in the front seat. The system is not designed to be switched off so if you disconnect it you will probably get a fault code and I do not know this it may disable the rest of the system. 
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 4:50pm
I'm aware the system is not designed to be switched off, and I agree that Nissan should have designed it with the option to disable it. However, the situation is the way it is and I'd like to find a way to deal with it rather than complaining about it.

Would simply disconnecting the connector over the glow box do the job?
Electrolyte View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 11:45pm
Hmmmmm ....... most likely will disable the airbag ...... but what about the seatbelt pre-tensioner ?
If you intend on utilising that,     it would most likely take the kids head off.
If in doubt give it a clout!
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 11:59pm
Does the airbag switch on other cars disable the pre-tensioner as well as the airbag?
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 6:48am
There was a typo in post above, sorry, I was trying to point out there is a reason why Nissan recommend that no children be placed in the front hence the warnings and the reason for this will be unnecessary risk of injury in an accident due to deployment of the safety system and the inherent design of the car. How are you going to know if the air bag warning comes on the whole system is not disabled?
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 11:25am
I'm aware of those risks, and I'm willing to take them. If disabling passenger airbag is not doable, I'll unplug the fuse to disable all airbags.
Keep in mind that back in 2000 when the P12 was designed, just a few cars (if any?) had the option to disable passenger airbag by switch/key. They all claimed children should be in the back seat. Most manufactures offered customers to disable the passenger airbag (and put a large sticker "airbag disabled" on their dash) if they took it to a authorized workshop. I don't know if nissan offered this.

Today most (all?) cars have a option to switch the passenger airbag off, even thou all the warnings from the P12 production years still apply.

I did not intend for this thread to be a political discussion, so lets keep it practical. Is the suggested way to disable passenger airbag the way to go?
(If nissan was one of those who offered to disable airbags, what did they do in the workshop when they performed this?)
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 7:29pm
Not recommending and have never tried but I believe you can use resistors in place of an airbag.

The rest of the system would then work as it should
PrimeraPhill View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrimeraPhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:20pm
I'm using resistors instead of airbags in my p11GT seats.

Not sure if that's possible for your p12, and in the dash I assume?
MOTM APRIL 2016

PINK Primera GT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>