Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 dCi need help starting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Smith Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 dCi need help starting
    Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 8:48pm
My wife used the car this morning as normal, and on her way home bought some diesel. Then after lunch she tried to start the car by turning the key as normal.  The engine turned well but did not catch.  Despite several attempts, both with foot on the accelerator and off, the engine refused to catch.

I sprayed Easy Start onto the air filter, and the next attempt to start the engine was successful.  This problem has occurred 3 times today, and we desperately need the car in the next few days.

The two codereaders belonging to our friendly garage man, Dave, claim that there is no fault, but it still won't start without lots of Easy Start. He suspects that injection fuel pressure is low and that the first thing to change is the cam shaft or crank shaft
(can't remember which) sensor.

Has anybody got any suggestions before I fork out nearly £200 for something that might or might not be the cause.

Many thanks.

Black Smith Bob
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 9:20pm
Hi and welcome to the forumThumbs Up
If there was a fault with either sensor or they were detecting out of sync for the timing chain then an EML fault would be thrown and the light would be on.
try hand priming the pump (under the fuel filter on the nearside of the bulkhead) does it firm up after a couple of presses?, does it make a difference to starting?
when the car has started are the idle revs steady?
Black Smith Bob View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Smith Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 10:18pm
Hi 
Thanks Timeshock for the swift response.
 I'll check the hand prime tomorrow. 
The idle is steady after a few moments of noisy running on the easy start then it settles down and runs fine and drives ok. But switch off and it won't start again after a few minutes.
There are no fault lights showing.

Black Smith Bob
Black Smith Bob View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Smith Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 4:13pm
Hi peaple

Thanks Timeshock, hand priming yesterday helped but the phrase in my original post
"My wife used the car this morning as normal, and on her way home bought some diesel." should have rung alarm bells .
 It was 45 litres of unleaded wot she put in (she's typing this!)

After driving like a pig for 30 - 40 miles we had to call rescue services who listened carefully to my wife and checked the fuel tank (smelt it) and said "You've put petrol in".  He contacted Fuel Fix company who came out, drained the tank and put in fresh diesel,  We were now on our way, but in limp home mode.  Taken to helpful garage man Dave who read fault codes as P1273 and P0089, pressure regulator / suction control valve which is now on order to be fitted when in for service.  For now if car goes into limp home mode, get into 2nd gear, switch ignition off and on rapidly to get into normal mode.

Hope this tale of woe helps somebody else. 

Thank you for your advice and concern.
Black Smith Bob
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 5:03pm
Well you got it sorted, my bad on assuming that you had checked the fuel receipt of sniffed the filler nozzleThumbs Up
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 5:25pm
Just one of them things,easy mistake.
 Post Reply Post Reply