Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12: blueish grey smoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12: blueish grey smoke
    Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 11:12pm
Engine: f9q, 1.9dci

After driving for 90 minutes, mostly on motorways my car was leaving a blueish grey smoke all over the parking lot. I did not notice any smoke in the mirrors before I got to the parking. But while looking for a free parking space it was a lot of it.
About 10 minutes before parking there was a long steep uphill where the car needs to run in 4th gear (6 speed manual) at 2800rpm and almost full throttle for 2km to keep up with the traffic on the motorway. In other words, it had been pushed near its maximum about 10 minutes before entering the parking lot.

After being parked for about 30 minutes I checked all fluids before driving for another hour. I drove very carefully, and did not see any smoke - not even when looking straight onto the exhaust pipe.
Next I drove for one more hour towing a 900kg trailer - and still no smoke.

While driving I also kept an eye on ODB2 live readings, without seeing anything not normal.

Should I bee worried about the one incident where it smoked so much?
Anything I should do before going for the next long distance driving?
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 11:20pm
Sounds like it's cleared whatever it was,so as long as the car is running ok,i would not worry about it.Unless you start to see smoke again.

Seems like some oil got sucked in to the exhaust during full throttle.
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 9:48am
Hopefully it's not trying to tell me that the turbo will fail shortly.... or head gasket. I don't want to be far from home when any of those happens.
wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:21pm
Bit difficult to tell. Keep an eye on the oil level. Don't fill over the MAX indicator.

This guy filled up with 5 liters... ;)

Ex: Primera P12 1.9dCi Estate<b
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 10:50pm
Could it have been water in the diesel?
I see water moving in a tube above the engine. I suspect it's extracted from the fuel filter. Maybe some water got passed the filter when the engine was pushed hard?

The strange thing is that it was smoking when idling in the parking lot, all the time until engine was stopped. After 30 minutes with engine off, there were no smoke at all when starting. I'd expect the level of smoke to go down when idling before stop.
wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 8:12pm
You're seeing diesel in the tube, not water. 
That's the low pressure line that runs from the fuel filter to the high pressure fuel pump.

petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 12:46am
If we're thinking of the same tube (transparent), I have a lot of air in the fuel line!Is there any way to bleed?
wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 6:46pm
Just cranking theengine, it says in the manual. if you get a lot of air, it could be you have a small crack in the fuel system from the fuel filter housing to the hp pump

Post Reply Post Reply