Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nissan primera p12 '03 timing chain confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duggyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nissan primera p12 '03 timing chain confusion
    Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:01am
hi folks

I realise this is a topic that's been discussed but I'd like to be doubly sure so's not to leave anything to chance.

So, My primera is a p12 1.8 petrol with the qg18de engine. I've been looking on a popular auction site for a chain replacement, many of the adds list a chain suitable for a qg18de but don't mention my particular model of primera. Those that do are more expensive. Whilst they're not much more expensive I'm confused because some of those adds also list compatibility with the older models.

what gives?

hope someone can shed a little light.

gratefully

duggy
carbon View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:55am
Hi, I am joining this topic because I have same problem. I would be glad for any advice.
duggyc View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duggyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 7:32pm
I contacted a couple of suppliers who both gave the same, very simple advice.

"If it says it's for qg18de, it'll fit. Regardless if it states your particular model or not"

seems simple enough

duggy 
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 7:37pm
The qg chains are all the same for both qg15de's and the qg18de's,the only dffrence from the qg15de and qg18de is that the qg18de engine has vvt also(variable valve timing) on the intake only.

Now this is where some confusion might occur,early qg18de and later qg18de have a different vvt spocket/cam gear,you need to find out which before you order.

However you can chance not changing it and just changing the chain itself which is a lot cheaper on it's own.

The chain kit comes with crank gear,guides,crank seal,tensioner and sealant for the timing cover/oil pan.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 7:41pm
And just to add to that not that it matter to any of us,but some non uk qg18de also came without vvt,unlike us where as all qg18de are vvt
carbon View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:44am
Thanks for your answers.
duggyc View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duggyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:34pm
thanks p11, all good and relevant info.
 Post Reply Post Reply