Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 Wiper Linkage replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LasermanUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 Wiper Linkage replacement
    Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 3:41pm
Hi, if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have a 1999, Nissan Primera GT (brilliant car), but ageing and the wiper linkage mechanism has finally given up the ghost. It has got so sloppy it has put a strain on motor, such that that whole system is just about shot. I talked to my local Nissan garage and am now on my second shot of scotch, recovering from the quoted replacement price, probably more than the car is worth although in good condition and only 80K miles. Can anyone offer help or advice as to where I can get a quality replacement unit at a non bank breaking cost. I really didn't want to go to a scrappy as could end up with the same problem in a couple of months time?? Any help welcome??
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:56pm
Welcome to the forum,

It's a common fault,the p11 primeras have plastic wiper spindle's that wear out and can hit the bonnet after time.Getting the same ones again will result in the same problem soon.The only rear solution is to fit p10 primera spindels that are made from metal instead and therefore don't wear out.They are one of the best upgrades you can do for your car.
LasermanUK View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LasermanUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 10:20am
good advice but not being a mechanic, can you replace the whole unit or is it a matter of taking various parts to make up the assembly? The problem being as such an old unit that the ball cups will have aged and once popped off are likely to come undone on load. Hence trying to find a complete unit...problem is where to get one?
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:17pm
The balljoint's are normally ok,the spindle's you can replace separately.3 x 10mm bolts hold them in place.

Just a matter of removing the wiper arms,which can be tight if seized on the spindle's, best way to remove them is to lift the arms off the windscreen undo the nut and rock the arm near the base.Once they are off you can removed the scuttle panel via a screw and some clips along the edge of it.Then you have access to the spindle bolts and motor etc.

Would also be a good time to clean up any grime etc as it will just lead to rust if left.
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 7:53pm
P12 (facelift) also has those in plastic. Good idea getting those from the P10. Do they fit the P12 as well?
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:11pm
Welcome to NPOC,

There is a guide in the How-to Section
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p11-replacing-a-wiper-arm-spindle_topic3080.html

The P10 (Pre-1996) Spindles are the best option if you can find them.
If not any Primera up to 2002 will fit. If you get a decent set of P11 plastic ones, give them plenty of grease and they should last.
It is a very common fault and any P11 breaking now will probably have had them replaced at some point.

A few P11s breaking for Spares on Ebay. Ask for Wiper Spindles and ask for them to be checked for wear/play.

imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by petterg petterg wrote:

P12 (facelift) also has those in plastic. Good idea getting those from the P10. Do they fit the P12 as well?

Not the same unfortunately
rrbarny View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
The Weakest Link!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrbarny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 3:54pm
Just for info :- The complete wiper linkage from P10`s fits the P11. Just pop the balljoint on the motor. It`s a bit of a faff to get them in but they will go lol.
Too old to leave too young to get me pension.
COTM Jan 2013.
I`ve now got me pension
JensenDK View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JensenDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 7:15pm
IIRC there was a guy here who took a piece of brass tube and enlarged the spindle so it could be placed inside and work as a bushing.
'91 black eGT
bavs83 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bavs83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 8:09pm
I have a good set for sale if you need. took them out of a P11-144

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/topic76371_post938739.html#938739
It's not what you drive....It's how you drive!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>