Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 Wiper Linkage replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 7:32am
Hi Willy,
Good to see you have found some.
The Metzger Pivots look OK. Probably worth taking them apart and checking for grease before fitting.

The 6 Nuts are likely to shear off of the old pivots. M6 I think.

Give the 2 Wiper Arm Nuts a squirt with some Penetrating Oil. They can be a pain to remove.
You can get Pullers if they refuse to budge.

Ian
rockywr22 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockywr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 8:49am
Ian,

I remember somebody else has posted that about grease on another thread I come across, thanks for the reminder - I would have forgotten it.
I've got lots of different oils/greases etc.. now so I'll give them a blast when i've got time to start it.

I have a Corsa that I've just changed the linkage for, much easier however, I must have screwed up the edge of the windscreen glass as I've now got a crack going up from the centre and out to the sides... I probably squeezed it back on too hard and then the first speed hump probably took it out. Luckily I've got fully comp so if it comes to a full replacement it's only £50 but if just a repair then it'll be nothing.
I'll be giving the primera a lot more attention on taking these things out hehe....
I'll do the drivers side first and run that for a few days or week to see how it fares before attempting the other one. The drivers side has the inevitable bearings buggered where the actual arm is rubbing on the bonnet and is a bit wobbly inside.

cheers again,

Wily

rockywr22 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockywr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 4:10pm
Well I started on my replacement of spindles and decided to do them both.

The left and the right had nuts that sheered off 2 on each, so I had to go and get a bag from Screwfix.

When i started to do the passenger side the end link to the motor also came off.

The problem  now is that my arms do not reach far enough in to put the link back onto the motor itself....... bugger! as we say.

No matter what I do I  just can't get in there so I'm going to have to take it to the garage anyway and see if their experience can get it on for me.

After all that bother I should have just popped it down to them and say off you go.

Both the spindles had dodgy bearings so they were out of it anyway plus with shearing off the bolts with the nut didn't help either so the new ones had to go on.

If you have any ideas I'd be grateful for any.

cheers

Willy

imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 4:25pm
Remove the 4 Bolts holding the Wiper Motor to the Bulkhead.
You should then be able to pop the linkage back onto the Motor.
A little fiddly from what I remember from when I replace the Wiper Motor.
Grim View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

r1pp3R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 4:51pm
Make sure motor is in park position. Other than that I can’t see why your struggling 👍
Sorry I scraped all those primeras ☹️
rockywr22 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockywr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:02pm
I came across a youtube video that was replacing a motor on another Nissan not a Primera but very similar set up except they could get their hand behind a lot further than this P11.
I'll give that a shot tomorrow as it's getting a bit dark now - I had a thought it might be easier to line it up by taking the motor off...

I can touch it with my fingers on the inside but my arm is all cut up when I've tried to re-connect the ball joint.

Thanks for the reply.

essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 6:45am
rockywr22 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockywr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 7:51am
Actually I have that already printed out but it doesn't show how to put the linkage back onto the motor ball joint. It did miss the screw when you pull the full plastic liners up though I was there for a while before I kicked myself and said "there's a screw there dummy!" hehe..

I moved the underneath plastic 'wide' clip off (about 4in length) and it opened up a 'window' so to speak but it seems that if this was a bit longer towards the passenger side I could have easily got my hand or fingers behind without any further messing about.
Now though, I'll move the motor and then line up the link and hopefully get them back together.
It only came off that end when I was trying to get the passenger side spindle off.

I'll post back what happens.

cheers

Willy

rockywr22 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockywr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 7:54am
Grim,

the link came off the ball joint on the motor my arms don't fit up the window in order to push it back on --- although I can feel it and see the ball joint on the motor I can't line it up as I can't see what I'm doing and there's no other window to put my other hand in to push it on so it's as suggested I'll move the motor off to align the joint that way and push it on.

rockywr22 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockywr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:28am
Guys and Gals,

it has now been put back together, I didn't need to take out the motor to line the linkage arm with the ball joint up.
I took the arm off the middle spindle again and then lined it up and pulled it back onto the spindle with my fingers using both hands through the space as in this youtube video I caught yesterday.
Although the window on this Nissan Micra is much nearer to the motor when I got a good 'thunk' I checked and could see it was really nicely on -- obviously lots of grease around.
Then the middle spindle was easier to attach the two arms.... 
It seems a shame they could do it on the Micra but not the Primera first time around to allow for some probing in the background.
The wiper arms don't knock on the bonnet anymore thank god but from the looks of the nuts/bolts that sheared off it probably wasn't too far from going completely anyway.

There were occasions where the motor had to be turned to complete it's movement so the joints could be seen.

Thanks to all for the comments and information. The information is out there ..............

cheers

Willy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>