Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello, Nissan Newb Here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NissanN00b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello, Nissan Newb Here
    Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:49pm
Hello everyone,

I'm Joe I drive an Audi B6 A4...... Which means it's a tad odd that I'm on here. Nope. I'm very much considering a P12 to replace my Audi and would love some advice. I've never owned a Nissan before and only ever considered buying a K11 Micra lol, so yeah, my knowledge is basically zero. Let's see how you guys can help me out before i buy one.
Grim View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

r1pp3R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:09pm
Bet advise I'd give you is don't buy a p12 . But if you do a 1.8 is best option .
Sorry I scraped all those primeras ☹️
NissanN00b View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NissanN00b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 9:06pm
Don't buy a 012 ? Why?
Electrolyte View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 1:07am
Nothing wrong with the P12, like anything else if it has been neglected or abused by the previous owner then it's going to give trouble.
Mine is last of line and has had problems when indicating to the right on motorway causing power on power of, solution clean up the rear light cluster connection.
Failing to start , RED CAR symbol on dash or solid or flashing , clean connector on top of steering wheel.
Window falls into door, if you are lucky it is just down to glue  giving up on glass holder , solved by Evo superglue.
I had knowledge of Nissan having previously owned an Almera " Peuk" which alerted me to the front radiator crossbar support corroding and falling appart.
When I bought mine it was one of the first things looked at which was and still is perfect cause I treated it.
Just gone through MOT ... 2 advisories ...lower wishbone bushes showing signs of splitting... nothing to do with wear or tear.. just age of car !!
When I bought mine with 28000 on clock I ran it up the highlands and it stuck to roads like glue . It is most definitely a Motorway car cause you feel every lump or pimple in the road.
Unlike an Laguna which I had owned previously.
If you are going for one go for last of line SVE 1.8Ltr, that is what mine is and if I decide to put my foot down it's great.
As for Sat Nav  its OK but at times can still take me into No Mans land.
If in doubt give it a clout!
Geordie View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member
Not in Estate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geordie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 6:59am
Hi and welcome to NPOC
Car of the Month April 2010 (Black GT)
Car of the Month August 2012 (Red Wagon)
"You are a one man, used car industry, improvement system!!" - Tom (12/12/16)
Current: 1991 P10 2 litre GS
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 8:29am
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake
I have had my P12 2.2 DCI coming up 10 years. turbos are a bit suspect, but some folk have no issues, anything else I have had a problem with has been cheap and simple. Don't expect great MPG

1.8 listen to the timing chain on cold start up
NissanN00b View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NissanN00b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 9:15am
Thanks for the welcome guys. I've heard the timing chain mentioned. I guess hearing a cold start will be a case of hoping the seller is honest when he sells. I'll do the standard checks for oil sludge etc too.

How expensive is the timing chain to replace? I don't mind doing it, but I'm guessing it's pricey compared to a belt?

Sounds to me as though there's a lot of knowledge here so I just need to familiarize myself.

Shame about the lump and pimples. One thing I will say my A4 does well is give you an insanely smooth ride. That said, I've simply had enough of parts being so bloody expensive, and the seemingly insane amounts of over engineering that has gone into it... I want something that's loaded with gadgets (like the Primera), but minus the ridiculous over engineering.
mike c View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 3:29pm
Nissan primera 1.8. 2003...just changed spark plugs an air filter, now on starting the car a warning on the screen says engine malfunction, nothing is malfunctioning so can I get rid of the warning if so how do I do this, thanks.
mike c
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 5:34pm
The qg18de is well underrated imo,yeah not that great on fuel not powerful but by god it's nippy when you need to pull out of a junction etc apart from the timing chain,s they are fantastic and can take a bit of lead boot also.

Timing chain replacement will take a full day if not done before.

Just stick a code reader on one,if it reports anything crankshaft/camshaft circuit then the chain needs doing.May just be a pending code till it gets worse but same applies.

If you want a outright quick engine,then a dci is the order of the day imo,again good engines,they are a bit loud and the turbos are suspect but decent elsewise.
**See Admin** View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **See Admin** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 7:29pm
Best advice I can offer is read the pages on here with people who have a P12 with a fault as things to check for. If there were to be things to look out for this would be the place to get answers from.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>