Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nissan primera p12 not starting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 8:08pm
Been about 4 years since I had any trouble with the NATS immobiliser .
IIRC It happened out of the blue, the NATS flashing, engine turned over but would not fire.
Cleared it by unlocking the steering column and tilting the wheel up and down a couple of times.
That worked for a couple of days then NATS came on solid and engine refused to turn over.
I think I then managed to get the engine to fire by turning the key very ,very slowly.
I did post my findings at the time but can't access them anymore.
Anyway I established a complete cure by removing the plug from the connector to the NATS antenna mounted on top of the steering wheel and spraying both plug and connector with electrical switch cleaner then connecting and disconnecting about 4 times to ensure the pins got cleaned.
First attempt with WD40 did not last.
I believe it is oxidation of the pins that causes the problem.
Worth investigating perhaps !.
If in doubt give it a clout!
Peterstevens2436 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterstevens2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 8:54pm
Electrolyte  certainly seems that this multipin connector causes many problems. will be nipping over to try a couple of tweaks on sunday. will update thread then...
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterstevens2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 9:00pm
d60_tag   another quick point regarding the halo connector... not sure if true, trying to find out, but i've been told that nissan actually produce an upgraded halo unit, which does suggest the originals are a recognised weakness. more to follow on sunday night......
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterstevens2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 10:31am
Not an update as such. Little progress due to busy weekend on call! Have stripped cowels etc to expose halo connectors. Will be checking out properly soon as get chance
Stoatwblr View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatwblr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 3:42pm
FWIW: I had problems with my P12 Primera a couple of years ago which I traced to the key transducer (Halo unit) - it was intermittent and would work/not work if the ring was tapped.

After getting the thing out and disassembling it to check for dry joints (none found) and finding the coil metered as ok, I put it back in - and from that point it worked perfectly - it looks like the problem was the plug/socket (probably oxidation on the blades which replugging sorted out.). That was about 2 years ago and it's never had a problem since.

Word to the wise: NEVER EVER use WD40 for electrical connectors or as a lubricant. The stuff was developed as a water displacer for preventing rust formation on rocket nose cones (spray on, wipe off) and the oil part of it oxidises/goes gunky after a few days. It also stinks - because it's fish oil.

Whilst you can use it to free things up, use some proper oil afterwards - and for electrical connectors use proper electrical cleaning spray - WD40 can never be cleaned out of the backs of connectors and it _will_ cause problems in the long term.

Stoatwblr View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatwblr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Stoatwblr Stoatwblr wrote:

FWIW: I had problems with my P12 Primera a couple of years ago which I traced to the key transducer (Halo unit) - it was intermittent and would work/not work if the ring was tapped

Just to clarify, when the fault occurred, the NATS light was on solidly and the engine wouldn't turn over.

imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 7:16am
A few unplug/replugs of the connectors for the Nats Antenna (Transducer/Halo) usually fixes this.
As per other comments, I also suspect oxidation of the contacts within the plugs.

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-nats-problem-urgent-please_topic47690.html
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Stoatwblr Stoatwblr wrote:

Word to the wise: NEVER EVER use WD40 for electrical connectors or as a lubricant. The stuff was developed as a water displacer for preventing rust formation on rocket nose cones (spray on, wipe off) and the oil part of it oxidises/goes gunky after a few days. It also stinks - because it's fish oil.

Whilst you can use it to free things up, use some proper oil afterwards - and for electrical connectors use proper electrical cleaning spray - WD40 can never be cleaned out of the backs of connectors and it _will_ cause problems in the long term.

Fair comment and have heard this before BUT I have had more problems sometimes with Electrical contact cleaner than WD40 at times.
 For example, I had an expensive Hi-Fi amp and cleaned it all out with compressed air and 'proper' electrical switch/ contact cleaner....  lo and behold, the damn thing powered up all crackly and only on one channel. I was none to happy as it was worth about £400 and it worked fine before the contact / switch cleaner. I thought it could be that the cleaner had not dried out properly and it may work if I left it a while etc. No such luck... I messed about with it for about an hour trying to dry it out with hair dryers/ compressed air etc. Thought I had probably busted it....
 Out of desperation, gave it a good old dosing of WD40, put it back together and powered it up, expecting it to not work still and it all came on and worked perfectly. I have not been so 'trusting' of this can of contact cleaner ever since!
I am not so sure that WD40 is as 'corrosive' as sometimes is said, being somewhat oil based.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12