Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 xenon headlamp aiming /cleaning
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 xenon headlamp aiming /cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:59pm
Found my original post .

Having just replaced the headlamp washer pump in the pissing rain Censored I thought I'd throw out a heads up for those of us with these bloody things.
Having not been used all summer  noticed they were not working and MOT due soon.
Had a look under front of car with lamp pointing at water bottle and saw brown rust stains under the pump motor  (Internal seal gone and motor seized) .
After removing driver side wheel and under arch cover all can then be got at with a bit of effort.
The windscreen wash pump can be seen first and left in place , the tubing can be released from the arch clip.
One tube at this motor has a grey coller which if pushed towards motor using fingernails will click and unlock allowing removal.
The hose connected to the headlamp washers is locked in place by a white plastic circlip with a flat square on top ( one side of this is longer than the other and the longer side faces away from the motor ).
Removing this allows the hose to be pulled off.
The plug for the water level sensor is on the bottom , unlock and remove. 
Remove three bolts supporting  the bottle then rotate bottle to reveal headlamp wash pump.
Lift pump upwards out of grommet then unlock and remove plug.
A resistance test showed the motor as having shorted turns being 0.6 ohms compared to the new motor being between 3-4 ohms. I also proved it by other methods although it was pretty obvious with the rust marks.

Having just put everything back together and testing I bumped into my local mechanic who informed me that most likely I would have got away with it as they were'nt really testing for washers yet just light and alignment. Confused 
And to top it all the rain stopped.........

Brain getting a bit old now and don't know where my original receipt for the part is, but I do remember I got the part no. from the catalogue and got the part from local dealer. It was pricey ( around £50 )
I don't think the part you are looking at is for the headlamp washer. The windscreen washer is bi-directional. I know the catalogue can be a bit tricky to use but you will need the correct pump.
I also think there may be differences between model years. 

If in doubt give it a clout!
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 11:45am
Thank you for the detailed description, Electrolyte

Living in Norway the headlamp washer is an important part. I didn't know that until the night I drove across a mountain in bad weather and it wasn't working. I lost vision frequently and had to stop at every gas station along the way to clean the lights.

Nissan parts catalog gives two part numbers
http://nissan4u.com/parts/primera/el_p12e/2005_6/type_104/body_electrical/windshield_wiper_and_windshield_washer/illustration_1/

From the drawing I'd assume part #4 is the one I'm looking for (as it is not included in the drawing without lamp cleaner). Searching for that partnumber on ebay returns results that looks more like #8 than #4. You seems to also confirm that ebay search results are wrong.

Seems like I have to go to the Nissan reseller (as this is Norway £50 would be extremely cheap), or find a donor car.
Electrolyte View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 12:42pm
I would say #4 is what you are looking for.
My part no. is slightly different in that it ends AU31A, yours states for cold climate, so there must be a difference to prevent the motor getting damaged if it freezes ?
If in doubt give it a clout!
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 9:53pm
I think the cold climate is about more fluid and/or higher pressure with each spray. Notice the tank has almost double volume too.

Searching ebay for 28920AU31A returns identical results to 28920AU310. Seems I have to go to Nissan with this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12