Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 1.9 dci sudden stalling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 1.9 dci sudden stalling
    Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 6:41pm
Hi all,
We have a problem that has been going on and on.
The car runs fine but sometimes suddenly stalls, we can't find where it comes from.
The garage says that it is a computer fault and it would cost a whole lot because they have to replace whole the computer unit and they say it then would be better to buy a new car (this one has 167000 km).
This problem has been going on for about a year now.The fuel filter has been changed the maf has been checked, the ignition has also been replaced (the plugs).
And nothing seems to help.
Most of the times this happens is when the car is idle (when waiting at the lights, or just standing stationary, but also when the rpm is low when driving).
The car would then drop a few rpm and then just stalls. The problem is that it isn't doing it always.
We also have the feeling the condition worsens when the Air Conditioning is on or when it is hot or cold (maybe something with the temperature control?).
It's frustrating because the car is fine otherwise.
Does anyone experienced something like this before or has any direction we can look at to resolve this issue?
Thanks for reading and for this great forum.
Manuel
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 7:45pm
Are the revs stable on a cold start up idling?
Blind Maniac View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 10:25pm
Thanks for the response.
Yes the revs are stable from a cold start.
We also don't find how to replicate the problem when we want to (like ac on or off, etc...)

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:43am
Does nobody have any idea?
Today it was cold here and the car started fine and I had driven 10 km. Stopped for about an hour and started again.
No problem then when almost home the car again suddenly stalled , I started again and about 50m farther stalled again.
Turned the key to switch everything off and turned the key to start, he starts and immediatly stalls again for about 3-4 times (with the general error icon on the dashboard).
When I drove home I had turned on the two central heatings and turned the temperature up and also had the blower on a higher setting (to defrost the windscreen).
When I wanted to drive the car in the garage I felt when I pressed the clutch pedal I felt a slight rumbling from the engine at intervals but I didn't see any fall in the rpm (and the car didn't stall anymore).
I hope someone has a clue.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 3:11am
I'd say maf sensor most likely,hook up a ob2 scanner that has live data and check that the airflow increases when given revs and it's stable when idling.

Any rumbling when pushing the clutch in could be the release bearing on it's way out but that's a different matter altogether.
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 5:29pm
I would guess the cause is some connection to ground is loose. That could be very hard to locate.
My second suspect is the valve blocking air supply on the intake hose when ignition is turned off (I don't remember it's name). It will be very easy to debug; Just disconnect the vacuum line and plug the vacuum hose so that vacuum doesn't leak while you wait for the problem to reoccur. If it doesn't reoccur you're problem is probably the electronics controlling the vacuum to this valve. (While this line is disconnected you may have a problem turning engine off - if so just put it in 6th gear and let the clutch out.)
This image shows the location of the vacuum line to disconnect.
http://foto.terpe.lt/inkelti/20130129/i19_f9q800uq1.jpg
Image is of a renault. Nissan has located on the other side of the hose, upside down.

What are you referring to as "the general error icon on the dashboard" ? The best way to identify this would be, as P11primeragt suggest; Get a code reader with live data, and monitor it while driving. And as soon as the engine stops, check for error codes, before you touch the ignition key.

I use ELM327 (£10 on ebay) and Tourqe app for android. This thing has extended my P12 (f9q, 411.000km) lifetime by several years.

What happens with the dash lights when the engine stalls? Do they go out and come back just like they would if you turn the ignition off for a split second, then back to on? Or is it like you stall the engine by letting the clutch out in too high gears?
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 6:16pm
Thank you very much for the answers.
A lot to check.
P11primeragt do you have a preference for a ob2 scanner and is it the same as petterg ELM327?
Petterg, the error code it gives is the engine malfunction warning light.
When the car stalls the warning light (and other lights) come up, just like you stall the engine when you let loose of the clutch.
Petterg did you mean torque for the android app?

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 7:34pm
This is the one I have,nothing fancy but does the job for that I need it for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KW808-Car-Engine-Fault-Code-Reader-Diagnostic-Reset-Tool-OBD2-BUS-EOBD-KONNWEI-/141750474749?hash=item2100fc97fd:g:SOIAAOSwRMRYTsM5
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 8:22pm
if the engine mgt light is on then you can manually read the code

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-all-engines-read-reset-ecu-fuel-pump_topic54932.html

when you do it correctly just count the flashes of the light it will give a repeating sequence of four digits, 10 flashes representing zero

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 11:00pm
Ok thanks all.
In the next days and weeks (if we are going to buy a few tools) we are going the search what the fault is and hopefully find it.
I will let you know if we find anything.
For now thanks for the feedback.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>