Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 ABS Warning light

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 ABS Warning light
    Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 2:33pm
Swapped over batteries as the existing one was abit shot and didn't crank the engine too greatly.. put another battery on (slightly smaller capacity) and the ABS light illuminated after the battery swapover. If you switch engine off/ start again it often goes back out, so is not all the while.

I am thinking the 2nd battery is probably not that great either and will probably get another that is better... ABS never had any faults/ warning lights ever before this battery swap- so is almost defo related to the battery. I have for now put the old one back on to see if ABS light still illuminates.

Anyone had any experience of this ? My thoughts are that the 2nd battery does not hold its charge too well (low voltage?) ... could this have caused the ABS warning light?

For now will revert back to the first battery and see if the warning light stops occurring.
Thanks in advance.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 2:40pm
Very low voltage can cause the ABS light to come on,

However it may just be a coincidence,I reckon it be one of the front sensors. Try turning lock to lock see if that makes it come on again,if not then check the teeth on the cv joints for damage etc.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 3:17pm
^^ Thanks again Brian- think it prob is being caused by battery as never ever had light come on since the battery swapover and it was instant light on.
I guess it maybe a good idea anyway to put a new battery on rather than messing about with two 'older' batteries, one of which maybe causing this.

As said will revert back to the first battery for now and see if the issue disappears.. If not then will check the ABS sensors as you describe.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 5:09pm
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 6:54pm
Gave the first battery a good charge and put it back on- ABS light disappeared straight away and has remained so since.
I think the battery/ voltage may pressurise the ABS on ignition. /start up and if the voltage is low then may report the error light- so hopefully this maybe the case rather than a fault elsewhere.
 It would only seem to happen on ignition/startup stage and would sometimes go out after, maybe as the battery got abit of energy from the alternator.

So will get another decent battery and stop messing about with these poorer condition ones, sometimes by saving a few quid using old stuff can cause more problems than its worth!
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 1:42pm
UPDATE- Problem not solved and re-occurred on occasions, (ABS error light showing) so I got a new battery...Damn prob still occurred it seemed even with new battery...

Ended up inspecting the earth lead to the ABS pump thing as it looked abit cruddy- cleaned it up abit and sanded the connection point abit and bolted earth backdown... think this may have done it- Smilehasn't happened since, been about 6 days- also ABS seems to be working really well- possibly smoothest it has felt for a while- so reckon was prob this bad earth leadto the ABS pump.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 2:04pm
^^ Yea- absolutely. I want my ABS working as it is one of the best things about the car and taking a bulb out is hardly the way to go on many levels!
Take this as an example of why it maybe a good idea to have your ABS and brake system working optimally and NOT A GOOD IDEA TO TAKE OUT BULB! :-

'About 1 year ago some goon I was driving behind decided it was a good idea to slam his brakes on at 60Mph and come to nearly a dead stop... reason he did this was because a Police car with siren on was travelling in opposite lane at high speed and it spooked him- so he slammed his brakes on, almost to a stop. I then had to make the biggest emergency stop in my life and somehow the thing stopped on an absolute sixpence, with no skidding or issues.. was amazed how good the ABS was(disks all round) and I honestly did not think it would stop in time or so well. I reckon had the brakes/ ABS not been so good, I defo would have rear ended the stopping car with abit of force. Thats is why I want it working optimally!
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 7:46am
I'm glad that you stopped but ABS is a hit and miss system. Sometimes it will save you and sometimes it can do more damage than good. In a situation you described you should have stopped even better without ABS. It's most useful if while heavy braking you still need to do adjustments to your direction of movement. So for example you could have more easily turned to avoid rear ending that car.

I'm driving without ABS for a while now (one of my sensors is bad and i took the bulb out - no issues on MOT as you call it). As long as you're aware of what you're driving and you have good tires, you should be fine ABS or no ABS.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Astral07 Astral07 wrote:

...... In a situation you described you should have stopped even better without ABS.

Really?! Taken from wiki :-

Effectiveness

A 2004 Australian study by Monash University Accident Research Centre found that ABS:[2]

On high-traction surfaces such as bitumen, or concrete, many (though not all) ABS-equipped cars are able to attain braking distances better (i.e. shorter) than those that would be possible without the benefit of ABS. In real world conditions, even an alert and experienced driver without ABS would find it difficult to match or improve on the performance of a typical driver with a modern Anti-lock Braking System-equipped vehicle. ABS reduces chances of crashing, and/or the severity of impact. The recommended technique for non-expert drivers in an ABS-equipped car, in a typical full-braking emergency, is to press the brake pedal as firmly as possible and, where appropriate, to steer around obstructions. In such situations, ABS will significantly reduce the chances of a skid and subsequent loss of control....

ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and slippery surfaces

Originally posted by Astral07 Astral07 wrote:

... I'm driving without ABS for a while now (one of my sensors is bad and i took the bulb out - no issues on MOT as you call it). As long as you're aware of what you're driving and you have good tires, you should be fine ABS or no ABS.

Really, is that the case?!
FYI,  ABS light/ bulb etc (or lack of it), Car would be an MOT failure- reason being ,on ignition phase- ABS does self test(illuminates), if self test is successful then should go out immediately. If ABS does not do self test by illuminating ABS light (which it won't if no bulb is present) then is an MOT failure!

Thanks for the info! Wink
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by d60_tag d60_tag wrote:

ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and slippery surfaces

Generally, yes. That's why i said it's a hit and miss system. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it creates an even bigger mess. It all depends on the driving conditions and specific situation. You have to know what you're driving and act accordingly. With or without ABS. I'm not saying it's a bad system but you can do just fine without it.

Originally posted by d60_tag d60_tag wrote:

Really, is that the case?!
FYI,  ABS light/ bulb etc (or lack of it), Car would be an MOT failure- reason being ,on ignition phase- ABS does self test(illuminates), if self test is successful then should go out immediately. If ABS does not do self test by illuminating ABS light (which it won't if no bulb is present) then is an MOT failure!

I can't really argue here because i'm not from UK so our cars are not examined in the same fashion. We are not asked to start the car, my car is already running when inspection is starting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>