Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back after a long time to just pop in!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyBlazE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back after a long time to just pop in!
    Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:33pm
I've been reminiscing on the good ole times.

My P10 eGT was the first car I bought with my own moolah; someone rear ended me and totalled her, and I was gutted. I miss this beautiful grey saloon car a helluva lot, and would love to have her back.

I have since had a 1990 E30 BMW 318is which was fun until the engine went and I got it converted to an M20 325 with all the M-tech running gear still in place - she was pretty, RWD fun, had a Zender Kit in a lovely Lazus Blau.  But no P10. I moved on once it gave me more trouble than I could afford to spend money on.

The next stop, is where I am now.  She's done well for me over the past 4 years.  Again, a saloon, again, 150bhp, again a 2.0 4cylinder in FWD.  Again, Japanese with multi-link suspension. Newer, still fun, but still not a P10.  Light feeling for a modern car though... It's a 2006 Mazda3 2.0 Sport in Saloon format.

She's the closest thing to the comfort, room and performance / feel of the P10, but not quite as revvy and raw.  Also, being built on the Ford C1 platform she's a bit smaller than the eGT was, and with newer materials a slightly tighter squeeze, with a slightly smaller boot (though still roomy!).  I miss the steering feel of the P10, I miss the red-top's revs, with the Mazda's redline at 6,500rpm.

I love the Mazda's Bose sound system, slightly sporty exhaust note and overall look, but there's something about the charm and love I had for my P10 that brought me back here.  That being said, I still do love my Mazda - it's gotten me through a lot, including a 3,000 mile UK Road trip, but my P10 did get me to France and back a few years back on an impromptu Easter weekend drive with a date. Then she failed to start thanks to NATS, but she did do away with a Golf R32 on the way home ;)

Not sure if the wife would agree with me going back in time (only been married 3 years!) to go to an older car, but one thing I noted in my dating days - no girl knew what the P10 was, just that when we went for drives, they would love spending time inside that lovely 90s Primera.

I have had a hankering to go back to "the old", especially since my cousin bought himself a beautiful 190E 2.6, but time will tell if I do, or if I stick with my Mazda until I find something else to fall for.
RS Tom-Hundred View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:04pm
Nice to see you back and to her your story Thumbs Up

I too, am a big P10 fan but do not own a Primera any more (I now have an RS200 Altezza).  Although I totally love the bit more power and the rear wheel drive of the Altezza, I sytill miss the way the P10s drive.  It is harder and harder to find a good one these days though.

If I had space and the funds for more than one car though, I would definitely seek out another P10 to own as well! Clap

JohnnyBlazE View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyBlazE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by RS Tom-Hundred RS Tom-Hundred wrote:

Nice to see you back and to her your story Thumbs Up

I too, am a big P10 fan but do not own a Primera any more (I now have an RS200 Altezza).  Although I totally love the bit more power and the rear wheel drive of the Altezza, I sytill miss the way the P10s drive.  It is harder and harder to find a good one these days though.

If I had space and the funds for more than one car though, I would definitely seek out another P10 to own as well! Clap

Nice! Borrowed my late mother-in-law's IS200 for a trip to Cornwall once and it was quite nice indeed - would love the Altezza models - how does it work for the UK? Imports or what? They're much quicker than the IS!
**See Admin** View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **See Admin** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 9:20pm
Welcome home. Yep the P10 does have a much more raw feel to its drive. Im a P11 owner now and the difference is huge. The P11 seems a much more refined drive

And with that ....

P11 Army
RS Tom-Hundred View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:10am
Originally posted by JohnnyBlazE JohnnyBlazE wrote:

Nice! Borrowed my late mother-in-law's IS200 for a trip to Cornwall once and it was quite nice indeed - would love the Altezza models - how does it work for the UK? Imports or what? They're much quicker than the IS!

The Altezza is a bit less refined with extras than the IS200 but the 3SGE engine is more powerful than the 1GFE (book figures are 207bhp vs 155bhp I think).  All the Altezza RS200s are imports and mine has been here since 2003.  I got it in late 2014 and only around 130-150 of them in UK but since then the proces have gone up quite a bit cos not many about.

JohnnyBlazE View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyBlazE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by naughtynorm naughtynorm wrote:

Welcome home. Yep the P10 does have a much more raw feel to its drive. Im a P11 owner now and the difference is huge. The P11 seems a much more refined drive

And with that ....

P11 Army

I do like the P11; refinement is getting more tempting as I get older. Especially when there's a wife now in the passenger seat, but I'm glad to see the club still going. I honestly am smitten with my old P10 and wish I still had it; P11s never quite stirred the soul as much, but I can definitely see the appeal.

Originally posted by RS Tom-Hundred RS Tom-Hundred wrote:

The Altezza is a bit less refined with extras than the IS200 but the 3SGE engine is more powerful than the 1GFE (book figures are 207bhp vs 155bhp I think).  All the Altezza RS200s are imports and mine has been here since 2003.  I got it in late 2014 and only around 130-150 of them in UK but since then the proces have gone up quite a bit cos not many about.

Nice, thank you. I remember seeing a bunch of them on Pistonheads at reasonable prices some 5 years back, but not as much nowadays.

I think I was looking at options and when I couldn't find a Primera in good nick, I came across the Mazda3 I felt the similarities were close enough and fell in love with that beautiful blue.

No idea where to go next at a reasonable price. Can't think of anything better value yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply