Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 CVT oil NS2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jago25_98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 CVT oil NS2
    Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 1:49am
I just want to share what I've learnt. I hope this helps. All this is regarding OUT OF WARRENTY primeras. Mine's a p12.

1: the NS oils are a secret, patented formula.

2: the price from dealers is not really too bad for the NS oils now IMHO. Approx £60 for the 4 litres

3: ns3 is backwards compatible to NS2 so if it says NS2 on your gearbox has a NS2 sticker on it you can use ns3

4: I just spoke to the service department here and the guy said ns1 is no more and that it's been replaced by NS2. Strange... Because ns1 is available at another dealer.

5: 3rd party manufacturers have made oils to use in place of the Nissan oils but not all are aimed specifically at Nissan cvt - the penrite generic cvt doesn't have something extra needed for belts you get in the primera cvt. It's not as bad as non cvt auto transmission oil but afaik it's still going to gut your car.

6: there are CVT oils out there designed specifically for the Nissan cvt but since Nissan have a patent on the oil how can these alternate oils be reliable? one manufacturer even makes the same oil for Nissan but we don't know if that oil is post processed by Nissan to keep the formula secret. There is no spec sheet. I was unable to get real world feedback on this - only oil experts opinions rather than drivers long term experience.

all of this confusion is from when Nissan were charging 5x more than they are now for the oil. Simplest thing is to get oil from the dealer. I can also say that we need a right to repair / open standards legislation covering this type of thing, or at least an easier way to know about this stuff when buying a car.

Hopefully this helps. I know there are tons of other threads in this but really I wanted to just help put the info in one place rather than having confusing threads here and there talking different issues.   
PsychoBuzz View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PsychoBuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 12:34am
Thumbs Up - Interesting -Thank you - Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply