Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 MAF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144 MAF
    Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:32am
Hey guys, 
it i's been like half a year since I got first signs of my problem. My Prim (with SR20 engine) has most of the time a flat spot in 4k-4.5k and on idle (with warm engine) it usually starts dropping RPM after about 10 secs (most of the times RPM falls to ~500 RPM and then it ramps back) and sometimes the engine even dies, so I have to start the car again. 

I did some googling, read few topics here on npoc and figured out that it is mos likely a faulty MAF, but some cleaning might resolve the issue. 

The question is, whether it really is faulty MAF and if so, is it possible to clean it with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol? (a guy in electronics store said it works just like a electronic contacts cleaner) Since it leaves no residue it should by ok for cleaning the MAF, right?
bavs83 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bavs83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:29pm
You can't really clean 144 MAF sensor. They're very fragile. P11 you can clean. Best option is a replacement Bosch sensor. Make sure it's a Bosch one you buy, or get one from local breakers. Trouble with one from breakers is you don't know how good or bad it is. But it's always worth a try.
It's not what you drive....It's how you drive!
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 1:19pm
Being an SR20 engine it may well have the wire filament MAF (carried over from the P11), this would be fine to clean with contact cleaner.

BUT if it's a hot film type MAF, that's a different matter.

Starting point here would be checking if it's wire or film :)
Dawek View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 3:14pm
So i took a look at the MAF and it is this one: https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en_GB/product-detail/-/product/0280218096
which seems to be a film type.
Dawek View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 3:40pm
Hey guys,
I have an update.

Another symptom showed up. When closing the lights i shift to neutral, hit the breaks and the engine's rpm goes straight down to 0. 

Does it all sound like MAF or is there any possibility of something else malfunctioning?
Exstoker View Drop Down
Play Nice Group (N)
Play Nice Group (N)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exstoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:13pm
Hi it sounds similar to a problem I used to have a faulty crankcase sensor I changed it and all was ok, another thing to try is crankcase  breather
James
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 7:53pm
That sounds like the MAF.
They usually wear out around 110 -160K KMs

Genuine Bosch recommended. Copies are cheaper but don't always work.

I know you are in Czech Republic.
Euro Carparts sell an exchange Bosch for £88 + £24 deposit. Looks like the will ship to you.
You are supposed to send them the old one back.

It is for the 1.8. Same Sensor but different sized Housing. You would need to take the sensor out of the Housing and fit it to your Housing

You get this

But only use this part

The 2.0 version is £205
Dawek View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 7:29pm
Thank you.

Well it has roughly 130K KMs on the clock, so i'm really not surprised.

I took a look at some carparts sites over here in Czech Republic and the ones for 1.8 cost around £60 + some deposit, which sounds like great deal, especially when it's possible to swap only the sensor to 2.0 MAF :D

I also already took the MAF out for a while and the screws looked to be torx with a hole in the middle, but i suppose it is not that difficult to find some in a hardware store. 
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 7:44pm
A bosch maf as said is the way to go

The screws are indeed tamperproof.
Dawek View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 8:03pm
Ok, thanks for help guys. 

I'm looking forward to fitting a new MAF and enjoy my Prim again. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>