Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 troubles with transponder chip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 troubles with transponder chip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ziziza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 troubles with transponder chip
    Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 7:16pm
Hi All, apologies in advance for the protracted nature of this post, hope it's not too waffly

I bought this 03 P12 primera recently, with only one iffy key, having had great success with my P11 and P11 144 in repairing and cloning keys I didn't think it much of an issue.

Replacing the fob battery and performing some surgery on the microswitches I have got myself one decent key.

So set about creating another. I went about it thus:
blank keyblade from a popular online bidding site, got local locksmith to cut it, works in the door fine.
second hand NATS key, once again knackered microswitches, fixed those, removed the transponder chip from the second hand key blade, placed in the in the freshly cut key blade, put the repaired fob on the new blade and then set about doing the usual hokey cokey to program the fobs, which I have successfully managed.

Perhaps I am remembering with rose tinted glasses but I am sure that was enough to have 2 working keys on the P11s.

However with this P12 I nearly have 2 working keys now.
The original one still works, fob buttons operate the doors, engine starts.
With this new frankenstien key I have cobbled together, it opens the doors on the key, the key fob operates the locks, I can put it in the ignition, turn the barrel, but I get nothing, the engine does not turn and I get a little red flashing key on the dash.

I concluded that perhaps the transponder chip from the key from another car was no good in my cars ignition. So returned to the local lock smith, who after quoting me £50 said he could program me a new transponder chip, after recovering from a moment of quiet shock, I agreed and he set about it.

He wrapped a device around my working key went to the car turned the ignition, saying that this device was reading something from the car, he then returned, put my working key in this cloning machine, then dropped the device he took out to my car in the machine, then picked out what he called a "GTi" chip (by all accounts a very generic one and the one the machine told him to use) and his machine should have written to the chip, but his machine refused to write to the chip, usual sort of "error there is an error" style message. So saved myself £50 but still only one key.

This forum is chocked full of knowledgable and helpful users, and doing some reading around here, it looks like I may well have been right about the transponder chip needing to be paired to the car. Does that sound right to anyone in the know ?

This question might be more suitable for a locksmith forum, if such a thing exists, but, does anyone happen to know what sort of transponder chip my locksmith is supposed to be using? perhaps the machine got it wrong.

or, perhaps more relevant to this fourm  is it possible to rewrite the second hand one I've got, if so how do I go about it ?

Or perhaps there is a way to disable the immobilisor, given the car is only worth a few hundred quid I wouldn't be that worried about it not having that functionality, if I was a car thief or joy rider I think my eyes would probably pass over my motor.

Trying to avoid visiting the nissan dealer, I know I nearly fell off my seat when they quoted me for cloning my P11 key, sure I paid less than that for the car itself at the time Smile

Any help or advice that can be given is, as always, much appreciated.

All the best - Trev
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 10:38pm
Welcome to NPOC

I am pretty sure someone on here said Timpsons can provide new P12 Keys with Immobiliser Chip.
Maybe try them or another Locksmith. 

If you are not bothered about the Immobiliser, remove the good Transponder Chip from the Key and locate it near the Ignition Barrel.
Then both Keys will start the Car.

On either the P11 or P11-144 (I have had both) there was a Frequency change.
The Frequency was stamped on Key Plastics as I remember.
Not sure if this was for the Remote Part or Transponder Part !!
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 10:44pm
Wow for a first post and being a member for so long you certainly saved up.Beer
I am pretty sure a Nissan dealer is not that expensive for re-coding keys,  would ring around for a few quotes to check.

I have forgotten more than I can remember about this subject but I think the coding is for access only and the transponder needs dealer coding, but I may be mistaken
Ziziza View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ziziza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 11:53pm
Thanks for the replies guys, you deserve gold stars for having the patience to read my post let alone being able to supply some decent suggestions in response.

I shall enquire at Nissan and see what they say, it's different car and a different decade, perhaps the price will be different too. I shall also cast my net a little wider with regards to locksmiths, we do have a timpsons near by, I'll see what they have to say.

And if all else fails, I love the suggestion of sticking the chip to the lock barrel, an inspired bit of lateral thinking there, I doff my cap Smile

Thanks again for you help, it's much appreciated

Kind Regards - Trev
Ziziza View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ziziza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 2:35pm
Hi, I'm not sure whether this is the right place to put this, but I have an addtion to make to the monologue that started this topic, and that is

I have noticed that lock light is flashing all the time, whether the car is locked or unlocked, engine running or not, could that be indicitive of another problem with locking system, or perhaps I have somehow managed to leave it in program mode, or something?

All the best - Trev

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 6:03pm
What do you mean by lock light, the red car with a key in it?
Ziziza View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ziziza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 7:26pm
Hi Timeshock, yes sorry that is what I mean by the lock light.
Cheers - Trev

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:15pm
The Nisan Anti theft light (NATS) should go out after starting the car, if it does not it is indicating a fault. I don't know what else to do other than take both keys and car to Nissan.

I take it the light is on after starting with the working key and the other one no where near the car?

Did you check the radio frequency on the keys? are you sure you bought the correct transponder for the cars frequency? mine for reference is 433 MHz
Ziziza View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ziziza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 11:04am
Thanks Timeshock, apologies for the delay in reply, Yes you are right the flashing ceases when the engine is started and the duff key isn't anywhere near, (pretty sure I had it about my person when the light was flashing before) so I think the car and the locking system is fine. If I can source my own transponder chip, (seen a few on the web, just got to make sure I buy the right one) the local nissan garage said they would program it for me (no guarantees) for £48, otherwise it's a new key, which to me now means blue tacking the transponder chip to the iginition barrel Smile

Thanks again for all the help received on this issue, it's been invaluable
 Post Reply Post Reply