Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 2.0 SVE ...overheating & noise
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2.0 SVE ...overheating & noise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2.0 SVE ...overheating & noise
    Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 10:28pm
I have two problems with the Primera which together I fear may bring about a terminal prognosis. Note I have the engine oil changed every 10,000 miles, and the odometer currently reads 188,200 miles.

Firstly, a few weeks ago (driving at 70mph with the aircon running in the hot weather) the high engine warning alarm was sounded, when I checked under the bonnet the radiator expansion tank was empty. I topped this up to the max line with a mix of antifreeze & water, but when I checked last weekend the level had dropped significantly, not far from the minimum line. Also, rather surprisingly the engine has reduced consumption of oil, I wonder whether the two are linked? My suspicion is that there is a fluid leak inside the engine, although I cannot be certain my thoughts turn to a developing head gasket failure.

Secondly, when driving there is a loud "roar" sound, it's not road noise, this sound gets louder the faster I drive, and does not stop until the car is stationary. Sometimes I let the car coast on a section of road leading up to a roundabout, the noise does not quieten once the car goes into neutral gear so I doubt this is an exhaust issue. Note the noise does dim a little when turning in one direction. My suspicion is that this a wheel bearing issue.

Based the first problem it seems pointless to spend monies on the second problem, especially since the MOT is due in 5 weeks' from now.

Your comments would be very welcome - thanks!    
Grim View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

r1pp3R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 10:44pm
Buy another one keep this one for spares..
Sorry I scraped all those primeras ☹️
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 10:45pm
I would think the improved oil consumption all of a sudden is indeed where the missing coolant is going.

Roaring could also be tyre related too,Although probably the wheel bearing since it changes pitch when cornering.Jack up the side of the car and check for roughness in the bearing by spinning the wheel and check for play in the wheel by rocking it with both hands at 3 and 9 and 6 and 12 o clock position.
Smileyman View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 8:59pm
Thanks for comments, sadly after 20 + years (P10 then P12) my days as a Primera driver are coming to an end ... this car will be taken to a scrapyard before the end of August.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 9:05pm
Sad Day, 188k+ from a petrol is not too bad.

What happens to the noise at standstill but revving it?
Smileyman View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 11:16pm
at standstill the noise does not exist ... revving the engine sounds normal
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 6:30am
I would check your brakes for a piece of grit stuck between pad ad and disc, I was surprised how much noise this made.

You could have your water system pressure checked
stephen2079 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen2079 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 12:22pm
Sorry to hear that. 
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 8:49pm
Take off the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge/gunge in there. Thumbs Up
The other problem will be the wheel bearing. Thumbs Down
Roy
Smileyman View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:05am
Been confirmed by garage ... "hydrocarbon in water system" ... not spent time / money on wheel bearing problem. Car to be picked up on Friday, time to start taking photos ....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>