Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan primera p11 emission test fail.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote primera p11 97norway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan primera p11 emission test fail.
    Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 3:37pm
Nissan primera p11 emission test fail.

I failed the Co test measurements. My values at idle is Co 0.701. To pass the test i have to be under Co 0.50.

At fast idle my values are Co 0.632. The max values to pass are Co 0.30.

Are these values way over the max limits? becouse i have no clue on this value meassurements. The engine was hot before the test. After the test i was told that i have to change the catalysator to pass the test... or are there other ways to pass this test without having to change the catalysator with this Co values? I would be glad if someone could help me out with this test :) thanks!

All the values on the emission test:

Meassurement at idle:
Lamda 0.986
Co 0.701 %vol
CO2 14.84 %vol
HC 166 ppm vol
O2 0.31 %vol
COcor 0.701 %vol

Fast idle:
Lamda 0.992
Co 0.632 %vol
CO2 14.84 %vol
HC 124 ppm vol
O2 0.36 %vol
COcor 0.632 %vol

Test failed.
primera p11 97norway View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote primera p11 97norway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 3:56pm
Also. I have changed fuel filter, sparkplugs, air filter, oil filter and oil change still the test failed.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 5:39pm
I take it the exhaust system doesn't have any leaks since it's been test? If not then change the cat converter.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by primera p11 97norway primera p11 97norway wrote:

Also. I have changed fuel filter, sparkplugs, air filter, oil filter and oil change still the test failed.

I had a Renault that was failing emissions in a similar way- me too changed all the things you mention above and although the readings improved, cleaned throttle body etc.. inspected/ cleaned other things.. However it still failed the test... This happened about 4 times and it would fail.... !!

...Finally changed the CAT and the readings became really low and the car passed very easily the tester said. Would think the CAT is probably the reason it is failing, its the first thing I would change, if all looks okay, as Primeragt says. Expect it will pass when you do that, given that it is in order otherwise. Think they just get old and wear out somewhat.

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote primera p11 97norway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:01pm
Im pretty sure that the exhaust system doesn't have any leaks :) im gonna change the cat. Im going for an iniversal cat since its a lot cheaper. Thx for helpin me out here :)
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote primera p11 97norway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:04pm
I think the old cat has done it's job for 20 years now, i think its time for retirement :D
Totenkopf View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totenkopf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 7:44pm
When you're replacing the catalytic converter, post a picture of the monolith here. Catalytic converters fail more often as a result of oil consumption (overheats the converter) etc. than just age. Your fast idle readings tell me that the engine is running rich. Are all the ignition components (coil, cap, rotor, cables and spark plugs) in good condition? The lambda value should be 0,97-1,03 and the HC should be below 100. This is the case in Finland, don't know about UK or Norway.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Totenkopf Totenkopf wrote:

...The lambda value should be 0,97-1,03 and the HC should be below 100. This is the case in Finland, don't know about UK or Norway.

Yes- is the same values here in UK.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by primera p11 97norway primera p11 97norway wrote:

I think the old cat has done it's job for 20 years now, i think its time for retirement :D

Yes- it has probably done very well if it has lasted that long. Mine is a 1999, not sure if mine is still original or not- think my backbox sliencer is still original!
 Post Reply Post Reply