Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 2.0TD oil spils

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 2.0TD oil spils
    Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:43am
Hi ppl, just passed what you would call MOT. Now 20 year old Primera and with 240 thousand kilometers on the clock is seemingly doing really well. But i seem to have a more deeper problem with an engine oil lea. Or better to say oil leaks.

Apparently the engine is spilling oil all over the place. Even though i cleaned it yesterday, today i already have oil all over. The garage says thy wouldn't want to even try to repair it. Because they thinks it leaks from at least 4 places. They say there must bu a reason (high pressure) why this happened. To fix the leaks on a few places would only cause more pressure on other places that are still leaking and might cause even more problems.

I guess without taking the engine apart fully, it's not an option to fix it.

They say i also have small leaks on the bosch pump and the turbo. But apparently that's not such a big issue.

All in all, i'm not sure when the leaking started to be this extensive but i know that i have put in new oil 6 months ago and it was on the high point, now it's half way to "LOW". So how much oil am i missing? Is it possible to tell from this info? In this period i think i only did about 3000km.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Any similar issues?
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:10pm
So you've loss 1/2L of oil that's not bad really,what is though is the that the turbo is leaking passed the seals,you run the risk of the engine running on...which means it will Rev out of control (starts using its oil) till it seizes up.So that need sorting first.As for having oil leaks yes it could high crankcase pressure but it's a old high mileage engine so anything is possible...Where does it seem to be leaking from?
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:24pm
Thanks for the reply. Well they said at least 4 diff places...all over really. This is not something that happened overnight, i know the engine was oily for years now but this is the first time they actually just barely gave me a pass on the MOT over it.

I guess mileage+years just made the rubber gaskets fail all over and it should be all sealed up from the start if i want to keep it for longer.

Not sure about the turbo leak, the garage didn't classify it as a problem really, they just said there's a few drops there. I could have then take another look  but what can be done anyway?
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 9:53am
Apart from rebuilding/replacing the turbo seals nothing else can be done about it.I'd just keep an eye on it for now but once it starts to get more oily it's time to get it sorted.
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 10:58am
So all is clear, i got one more year left from this one, after that it will need extensive work done on it, i estimated about 1300 Euros, or time for a new car...

That will be a tough decision, driving the Primera for 12 years now.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 11:47am
Sadly a lot of cars get to this point where they are money pits (I know trust me!) and sometimes it's best to cut your losses but saying that it's maybe not as bad as you think and maybe wont cost as much as you think to repair it..
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 3:39pm
Cars are a lot more expensive in Croatia than UK aren't they?
Probably makes the decision to bail out a bit different to here.

From a 'nothing to lose' perspective, have you considered an Oil Leak Stopping Fluid?
Have never used one myself.

I believe it is normally about 1 Litre between High and Low.
Approx 0.5L you may have lost. Put 0.25L and see how it changes on the Dipstick.
You are no doubt aware that the oil will take a while to settle and give you a true reading on the Dipstick.
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:06pm
Well, it's not that the cars are more expensive, they are actually pretty comparable. The problem is that our salaries are at least 3 times lower. So that makes it a harder decision when faced with an upgrade or repair option.

I have actually used oil leak stop but for power steering fluid only. And it actually worked. So you might be onto something. I will check it out.

I will buy 1L and pour some in. I'm also thinking of doing the gasket change myself (gasket of the valve cap - not really sure how it's called, can you let me know if you know what i mean?), should be easy apparently.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:48pm
You mean the rocker cover gasket.By all means try the leak stop as suggested it may help but if the seals are too perished it won't make any difference.
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 10:16pm
I found it as valve cover gasket. Should mean the same thing.

Any make or brand to consider for the leak stop?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>