Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 2.0TD oil spils

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:46pm
Not sure what the type yours is Astral; as mine is a 1.6 Petrol and may well be different (as yours is the deisel as we have discussed before).
Yes, regarding inspecting it/ repairing old one etc, even though mine too is very old, it actually looked in really good condition and had no real rips/ splits or tears. So it seemed sort of odd that it leaked. I guess it maybe was just brittle/ shrunk maybe and not sealing, it only leaked from 1 side and only abit but as we say a 'little' becomes 'alot' after 1 year and was not good having oil all in the engine bay and running down the Aux belts etc.

Yea- have a go at sealing it with RTV and then as you say if no luck maybe get a new one- may take 2 or 3 attempts but probably worth it if it stops the devil leaking....
 Yea- mine took about 3-4 attempts but think I maybe did not use very good sealer the first 2 times. Black RTV did the trick finally for me.
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 7:29am
I did order some black RTV right away, still waiting for it to arrive. The gasket is really inexpensive, just that for some reason they have 3 of them listed for the same engine...i'll have to take it appart first to see which one is the correct one i guess. Thanks for the input
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 3:45pm
Just make sure the surface's are dry and really clean before you put on any rtv and let it have 5 mins before you put on the rocker cover again. A lot of people don't give it time to change colour ie it goes dull..

Normally you would just put rtv on the half moon area's of the gasket but if you feel like it can do the whole gasket it does not make much difference.
SailorBob View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SailorBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 2:24pm
Let us know how the RTV attempt holds up.  I've also got oil leaking into one of my spark plug tubes.
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 7:40am
Will do, something arrived in the mail today so i'll go pick it up later, could be the RTV :)
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by p11primeragt p11primeragt wrote:

Just make sure the surface's are dry and really clean before you put on any rtv and let it have 5 mins before you put on the rocker cover again. A lot of people don't give it time to change colour ie it goes dull..

Normally you would just put rtv on the half moon area's of the gasket but if you feel like it can do the whole gasket it does not make much difference.

Yes, I kind of did it this way, allowing a little time to slightly harden but not too much, else if you put it on really wet then you may not really get much of the sealant in the gaps when you tighten it down, because it squeezes out with the pressure of being torqued.  I waited a little time before finally tightening it down, sort of tightened it gradually as it went off.

Also, yes, think mine was kind of leaking from the half moon areas, or sort of seemed in that vicinity thereabouts. I ended up sort of putting it over the whole gasket but abit more on the half moon areas. So far think it is holding up ok, been about 3 months.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123