Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 2000SE Battery Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockywr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 2000SE Battery Problem
    Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 4:15pm
I went to the car yesterday and although all the digital displays were working once an attempt was made to start up the ignition it didn't turn over. All the displays cleared to nothing when the key was turned.

First thought was the battery and/or the terminals so a quick check and I could see the battery was showing 11.75V.
I put it onto the Opti-mate charger and clicked through to car --- it started it's process off and I just left it, I came back a bit later and it showed it was onto the 'Maintain' portion -- a bit later and I saw it had moved onto 'WEAK' as the battery strength and, once again there was no turn over.
So off came the connectors and a thorough clean although it wasn't corroded just a bit of grease and dirt around - I used a bit of wire wool to clean up the inside rim of the connectors and the terminal posts on the battery were fine.
I put the charger back on and I could see it went up to 12.3V although still showing as 'Weak' I then put the connectors back on and the same thing happened no turn over, no display on a crank.
I thought I'd leave it on charge overnight and put the charging connectors on and closed the bonnet - when I went back to the display I noticed they were showing nothing this time -- although just a short while before they were on, so, just closing the bonnet lid probably moved the battery connectors about it seems. (I've found my original receipt and guarantee for the battery from Halfords and it's only 2 years old but i've got 3 years on it to go yet if I require it). 
The fingers are pointing directly to those connectors again but could it be anything else ? 

Any tips or hints would be appreciated. 

regards,

Rocky

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 4:27pm
Anything less than 12.6v when testing the battery voltage at rest means it's flat/not fully charged..

Make sure the positive cable is fully on,there's a second smaller cable that slids on the positive terminal with the main one and it can come off or not have enough contact.I've had that meself before hence not having anything showing on the dash.
rockywr22 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockywr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 5:06pm
Thanks for that tip I'll check it out when the light returns.

rockywr22 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockywr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 2:15pm
Hi there, 

I've found the problem now, it was the Battery and it was the Cold Cranking.

I got a new one from Halfords and it showed 12.65 from the shop so in it went and, as I was putting it in I noticed I'd had a 5 year guarantee on the one that was coming out (I'd written it on the side). The problem with that was the only receipt I had was for my other battery in my other car and although it was only bought (dud one) a couple of months after it they'd both only done 2 years. 

Sod it, the other one was fine but it was a 063 rather than a 075 which I had in the Primera ...

Anyway the battery was put in and terminals placed on I went to the displays and noticed there was nothing there --- a little nudge of the positive terminal and all the display digits were showing - with baited breath and fingers crossed I turned it over and she started thank god for that.
So the battery's CCA had dropped.
I did think it may have been the connections but there you have it.

Thanks for the response again.

regards

Rocky

Post Reply Post Reply