Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P10 intermittent throttle problem
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P10 intermittent throttle problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P10 intermittent throttle problem
    Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 4:20pm
Hi all,

Hoping for some wisdom on what might be wrong with my poor car.

I have a '96 P10 eGT (presumably one of the last) with 84k on the clock. For the past few months it has been suffering an intermittent fault whereby there is significant hesitation / lack of response on part throttle. Generally opening the throttle fully will get the engine to rev. The overall feeling is very much like massive turbo lag. Very strange. The oddest thing is that it's not a constant problem, and I can't seem to spot any kind of pattern to its occurrence. Sometimes it's awful and really hard to drive at low speeds, and other times it's faultless.

I've shorted the ECU connector pins to get the fault codes, and it gives me 55 on repeat ("all circuits functioning"). I have also cleaned the throttle body (though it already looked spotless) and given the MAF sensor a squirt with brake cleaner. And I've checked the TPS and it seems to be set up correctly and responding as it should in terms of how the voltage changes as I operate the throttle.

The dizzy cap and rotor arm are new, and the plugs have done about 10k.

Has anyone come across these kind of symptoms occurring intermittently? The posts that I have seen so far seem to always be concerned with permanent faults, and the knock sensor is often the culprit. But since there are no fault codes showing that would seem to rule that out, right?

Hope someone reading has come across this before. I'm not keen on stumping up for a visit to a Nissan dealer, as I reckon there is every chance they'll be guessing just as much as I am.

Thanks in advance!

Smile

rizla01 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizla01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:14pm
Plug leads?

prim-n-proper View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Tick Tock Tick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prim-n-proper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:19pm
could be a bad plug ? are you using NGK 5E11 or 6E11 ?

COTM: MAY 2006 P11 GT
COTM: MAY 2009 P11 SLX+
COTM: AUG 2012 P11 WAGON
LAST EVER COTM: NOV 2013 P10 eGT

Your "other car" might be newer, but it don't make it better than a P chassis.*PNP17*

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Tick Tock Tick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prim-n-proper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:20pm
sometimes the centre gasket under the rocker cover can leak and allow oil into the plug wells

Your "other car" might be newer, but it don't make it better than a P chassis.*PNP17*

Mowog View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 11:14pm
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I haven't actually tried replacing the plugs or leads, though I have taken all of the plugs out to inspect, clean and check the gaps. Everything looked good.

Could leads give an issue that was intermittent in this way? I've only ever experienced bad leads on much older cars, and the problems were always constant.
Mowog View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 11:16pm
P.S. Has anyone ever encountered a faulty knock sensor that didn't give a fault code?
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Tick Tock Tick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prim-n-proper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 11:36pm
what make are the plugs, the SR can be fussy sometimes

rizla01 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizla01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Mowog Mowog wrote:

Could leads give an issue that was intermittent in this way? I've only ever experienced bad leads on much older cars, and the problems were always constant.

Yes definitely.
If there is any movement in the lead it could break a weak connector and then make again when cornering slowing or braking.

1st check both ends of all the leads and also check the leads for possible burn where one might be shorting out.

They can also break internally.

Mowog View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 2:55pm
Thanks once again for the advice.

The leads look very good to me, but then again they are something I've not replaced since owning the car, so maybe I should try a new set.

Any advice on leads? ECP have them for just under £60, or there's a guy on Ebay who makes them to order for £30 a set (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122874530036). The chat is quite convincing!

Re the plugs, pretty sure they are Bosch.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 3:47pm
Change the spark plugs to NGK.That will most likely be the problem,sr engines just don't like bosch ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>