Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2.2 DCI Starting issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fourth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2.2 DCI Starting issues
    Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 5:11pm
Ahoy!

Firstly before I start I'd like to say I have read several threads on starting issues etc however have struggled to come to a conclusion on what the fault is, so thought it would be easier to start a fresh.

Car is a P12 2.2 DCI 05 plate. @ 65k miles

Has not started for the last few weeks now. Initially it took a while to fire up, (for a day or so) then would not start up all together. The last time I drove it, as the revs dropped low the engine cut out (this happened 2 or 3 times)

As it stands the engine does turn over but does not fire.

So far I have tried the following;

-Checked Battery, Trickled charged + tried another Batt (no joy)
-Disconnect and reconnect the Immobilizer which I believe to be relates to the NATs? Located underneath the stearing colloum.
-Removed fuses for the Rear lights (to eliminate possible earthing fault) no joy

I have only owned the car around 3 weeks and have noticed the electrical issues in relation to the steering column (Radio display changing + volume when turning the wheel). Unsure whether these were early symptoms of this issue or unrelated.

I am Unable to Jump start the car as I have twice and the engine will not fire.

Bit of a head scratcher for me, any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated, or a process for fault finding cheapest < expensive. Hoping this is something I can rectify myself before calling out a Mobile Mech.

Any further questions please do ask!

Many thanks,
Fourth
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 5:37pm
Sounds fuel related.Either somewhere is drawing air in or it's the scv that's playing up. That can cause non/hard starting issues too.Checking the fuel pressure (psi) on live data will soon pinpoint if it's bad or not.

You could get somebody to crank it over while you try some easy start into the intake housing,if it starts and then soon cuts out that means it's fuel related.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:47pm
I would agree, have you tried the hand primer, it should get very resistant the further presses after on or two pumps
Fourth View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fourth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 8:57pm
Thanks for the reply.

How do I go about checking the PSI on live data? Is this something that I need kit for?

I will try the easy start this Friday, thanks for that! I'll let you know how I get on.
Fourth View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fourth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 8:59pm
Hi Timeshock.

What are where is the Hand primer located?

On another note I have just read the guide on ECU reset Inc fuel pump. Is this some that will assist me or am I getting ahead of myself? It also mentioned it would display error codes if any arose.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:40pm
Hi I have just got back from holiday, so just picked up your post, I don't know if you have made any further progress? Hand primer bulb is on the underside of the fuel filter housing on the bulk head on the right hand side, very easy to get to
Fourth View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fourth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 10:17pm
Ahoy Timeshock!

I took off the air filter and whacked in some Easystart while it was being turned over, engine fired up. I haven't touched the ECU reset as I was unsure of its relevance.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 11:14pm
Fuel pump, fuel pressure, splits, or leaks, collapsed/blocked fuel filter.

Hand prime and see what happens
Fourth View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fourth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 5:50pm
Hi TS,

Have hand primed and it will not firm.

Voltage at the fuel pump (under the back seats) is reading 1.8v I assume it should be nearer 12v? I have just read a similar thread in relation to this and it was resolved with a change of fuel filter. Going to give that a go tomorrow as it's only a tenner, however I'm unsure how this has a relationship to a low voltage at the pump.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 6:18pm
I think changing the filter wont harm it has been know on its own not to allow the engine to start, however I think you have a split somewhere on the fuel lines. I have no idea regarding any relationship between pump, voltage and the condition of the fuel system
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>