Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 '99 CVT oil change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 '99 CVT oil change
    Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:29am
Just posting my experience of a problem that had been developing with my P11 CVT autobox, mileage is 63K.
Started to notice that the CVT auto box was delivering more revs for a given road speed and condition, up from about 14/15K to more like 19/20K. Checked the fluid level and noticed that the oil appeared to be clean but slightly pink, suggesting it was a Dextron type ATF instead of the CVT ATF. I decided to drain and refill with a recommended CVT ATF. I settled on the Comma AQCVT as I could not get the Nissan NS1 and it was less than half the price, only had 4L so drained and refilled the 4 L. The autobox has a capacity of 8L but about 3L of that gets hung up in the torque converter so the max that can be drained is about 5L. Following the oil change the autobox is now back to delivering lower revs and seems a good bit more torquey and smooth. Just hoping that the Dexton has not caused significant damage to the belts and cones.
RS Tom-Hundred View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 11:40am
That's interesting to know and thanks for sharing Thumbs Up  Hopefully help some members with these boxes out.

I presume you mean 1400/1500 rpm and 1900/2000 rpm by the way. 20k rpm would be more than an F1 car! Tongue

redlion View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 11:54pm
Ha Ha yes my bad.
Eclipse View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclipse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:49am
I suggest you drain, refill, disconnect cooler feed to rad start the engine and watch for all pink tinge to stop switch off. Reconnect pipe to rad. Top up.
Any ATF in tranny can/will damage system. There are friction modifiers in CVT fluid to ensure belt does not slip. Lots of CVT's are damaged by people using cheap ATF.
redlion View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 1:30pm
Update:
Eclipse - Thanks for the suggestion.
So far so good, still giving lower revs and better drive, also MPG (UK) has significantly improved from about 30mpg previously to 36mpg now.
shahfiez View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahfiez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:02pm
can i know where the gear oil spot ?
Nissan p11 144 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nissan p11 144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 8:05pm
How did it end up? Still going better? And did you top up with more Oil? I am going for the same procedure this week on my cvt box
schwen View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 6:34am
I've heard that clean a couple of sensors is needed in each oil cvt change.

Never forget a trip with two members of the spanish club with144 Sport, both cars suffered the same problems in the mountain roads, slower as the mountain roads were higher over the sea level.

after cleaning the sensors in the two cars, they were much quicker than before.
P10 Army - G20.net MOTM April ´09 - NPOC.co.uk COTM April ´11
 Post Reply Post Reply