Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 rust and leaking oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 rust and leaking oil
    Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:00am
Hello to all good people of NPOC :)

Recently i had my engine (2.0TD) washed from under the car in order to try to identify where my oil leak was coming from. The top of the engine is dry, no leaks there. I had to wash it since it was really quite a lot of oil and i couldn't tell where it was leaking from.

After the engine was washed, i took a look and snapped a few photos. Unfortunately they are not the best quality but i noticed a place where it might be leaking + some rust on what i believe are the control arms but i'm not sure, i would like you to confirm. And if possible to tell from pictures, if this is something that i should repair right away?

Also i have marked what i believe to be the leak spot, so i wanted to ask you if you could identify what would need to be done in order to stop the leak from that spot, i believe it is on the gearbox?

Here are the pictures: https://app.box.com/s/yat1yrke0ekg6qr04vd0z7mhcvrrtcod

Thanks!
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:52pm
The link is no good.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:55pm
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:22am
Link opens just fine if you copy paste it to the browser. Can you please try?
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:19pm
Ok,

The lower arms don't worry about the rust,it's nothing to worry about.If it had been a uk car the whole lot would of been like that.

The leak is around the rear main crank seal area but from what I can make out it's just a bit wet above it so it looks like it could be running down from somewhere like the rocker gasket.

However if it's just wet on the very bottom edge where the gearbox/bellhouseing meets to the engine then that would confirm it's the rear main crank seal which would mean removing the gearbox/clutch flywheel to get to the seal.
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:46pm
I was worried about that. I'll have it inspected professionally on Monday and i'll update.

Thank you sir.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 11:09am
Not sure exactly where leaking from, P11primergt is probably correct, as he often is! - however, I reckon the rocker gaskets are possibly very prone to leaking. I have tried sealing mine up about 6 times and think it still leaks abit out the side where the 'half moon' sections are. Whatever I seem to do cannot seem to get it sealed, I may try a new gasket next step, if they are not too expensive.
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 1:07pm
I had the same issue. But in the end I've managed to get mine to stop leaking. New gasket + a bunch of RTV silicone and I was finally able to get it to stop. Before i have give it to a mechanic a couple of times but he couldn't make it work.

You need time and patience, something that mechanics don't usually have. So you're better off doing it yourself. And also very important thing before applying RTV and the new gasket, you have clean every little bit of old stuff that will be left on seal.
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:29am
Hey guys, bad news from my mechanic. It's leaking engine oil from 3 places and also gearbox oil from the place where the gear stick meets the gearbox.

Unfortunately i don't know how to translate these things to English but for one leak i will need to remove the distribution belt to get it fixed (this is the worst leak of them all)...while i'm at it i might as well change the belt and that will cost a lot...

Also for other leaks the whole gearbox needs to be dropped to fix them so that will also cost a lot.

Unfortunately when i add all the other issues i have with the car, it seems it's becoming harder to justify fixing it. I may drive it like this for a few more months and then just get a new car. WITH A VERY SAD HEART... :(
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:38pm
I tried to google for translations of where it's leaking and i got:

- oil pan / sump gasket
- camshaft seal
- gear selector seal
 Post Reply Post Reply