Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - misfire and power loss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 - misfire and power loss
    Posted: 27 May 2018 at 10:07am
Occasionally, warm or cold, and usually at c2500 revs - driver becomes juddery and loses power.

Ideas please?
wINDUM
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 7:02pm
No EML?
windum View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:04pm
Sorry, what’s EML?
wINDUM
chris3438 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris3438 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:13pm
EML = engine management light on the dashboard display.
windum View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 10:47pm
No. No dashboard lights.

I also have the indicator/ on/off and cruise control problem - but I know what the solution to that is.
wINDUM
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 10:54pm
The fix for you indicator problem as you will know is so simple so start there first

windum View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 6:47pm
The car had its MOT on Monday this week, so I asked Nissan to investigate - they drew a blank. The car had been an absolute pain on Saturday - threatening to cut out when ticking over and doing all the things already described. It gradually settles down after about 40 minutes. As is the way with intermittent faults, it was as good as gold on the way to/from the garage and of course when they road tested it. Just waiting for my EBay order of a suitable spade connector.
wINDUM
windum View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:55am
I’ve done the earth fix. Thank you to Swiss Tony for the pictures and guidance. “You know earthing your light cluster is like making love to a beautiful woman,,,”. I’m one of the least practically minded people on this forum and found most of it straightforward: unclip the trim, undo the two retaining bolts, pull the cluster unit out from its two fasteners (I always worry about aged brittle plastics snapping at this point) take off the supply lead and then the three screws to access the actual bulbs.

I used 5.3 mm fork terminals - these were on the big side for the wire I used, so the crimping needed more than one go to get right and soldering might have been better. I struggled with how Tony’s instructions showed the wire attached to the earth track - I ended up using a knife to shove the wire under the earth track. By the way, thread it through the vent hole (is that what those capped holes are?) first. The cap had the effect of securing the wire at that point, which was good. Last thing, you need to put a bit of a bend on the fork terminal with pliers so it will sit tidily at 9 o’clock as per the last photo.

Put the three screws back, re-attach the supply lead from the car, and start the two retaining bolts - offer up your terminal to the top one and tighten up both. Put the trim back - it fastens in three places. Now all I need is a motorway slip road to indicate my way on to...
wINDUM
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:55am
Good luck with the test driveThumbs Up
windum View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 2:36pm
Thanks! So I’ve driven it for a few days and the original problem is still present. It comes and goes: first 20 minutes fine, then 20 minutes of unpredictability and the threat of cutting out when stationary and then it settles down again for a time before misbehaving again. Still no EML.

I’ve been to see my local garage who are booked-up to 2 July. This could be something straightforward in the tuning department, but we’re a long way now from me bent over my old Fiesta 950 with a strobe light and gapping and cleaning the points and plugs.
wINDUM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>