Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 gearbox oil change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144 gearbox oil change
    Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:37pm
Yes the fluid should be clean,it needs replacing ideally.
Cambridge-Rob View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambridge-Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 6:33pm
Forgot to mention that the fluid inside the resevoir also looks like dirty old engine oil. Shouldn't it be the same as the clear brake fluid?

Thanks.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambridge-Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 6:21pm
I might be on to something here.
I believe it is the clutch fluid resevoir that is to the front of the driver's side suspension strut mounting.
The lid and top of this resevoir is coated in what looks like dirty old engine oil.
Remove the cap, and the level is about 1.5 inches below the top. I don't see any min and max marks on the resevoir.

Thanks in advance.
Rob
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 4:59pm
No filters,

Normally around 3.6l capacity,but all depends on how much comes out,So Get 4l 4 x 1l bottles and just keep filling the box till the oil starts to drip out of the plug opening then you know it's filled correctly.

And no you don't have to use Nissan oil you can use any decent semi or fully synthetic oil.The gearbox is nothing special.

Oil needed is 75w90 grade gl4

Would not add any additive's personally but that's up to you.

If you find the gears are still hard to select then I would be checking your engine mounts (rear mainly) and then the gear linkages.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambridge-Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 10:28am
This 1.8 ltr manual on an 02 plate with 103K miles has been becoming increasingly difficult to engage into first or reverse for the last year or so (say 10K miles). It was previously suggested that I start by changing the gearbox oil. It seems the capacity may be 3.0 or 3.6 ltr depending on model (how do I tell), as the stuff comes in 1 ltr bottles?
Another sensible suggestion was that I only use the genuine Nissan geabox oil (expensive stuff).
Two more questions:
1. Is there a gearbox oil filter (I don't think so)?
2. What about adding a molybenum gearbox oil additive to either to existing or new oil?

Thanks in advance.
Rob

Post Reply Post Reply