Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 water pump belt jumped on trip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 water pump belt jumped on trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 water pump belt jumped on trip
    Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 10:05am
 Hi guys,
 I'm in desperate need of advice as the water pump/power steering belt of my 2005 1.6 Nissan Primera P12 jumped off while I'm about 1000 miles away from home, in a foreign country and in a tourist trap area. 

This morning I started the car and in order  to exit the parking lot had to make a sharp turn uphill at very low speed (cold engine but very hot outside). Suddenly there was a POP sound and the steering felt very heavy, I thought flat tire on front but upon inspection  the truth revealed itself: the belt had just popped clean off the pulleys.

I closely inspected it, doesn't look cracked or twisted in any way, the grooves (or whatever they're called) on the inner side are good too. Is there any chance to force it back on the pulleys without any tools? As things are now the car would require towing to a garage as the engine would overheat in a few minutes if attempting to drive.

Thanks in advance for any help.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 11:08am
Don't try and force it,you'll end you with more problems.
Optimus View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 11:22am
  Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that it probably popped off because it's weakened/extended so it would be safe to put it back in without doing any damage.

The situation is very awkward,  I may have a hard time finding a garage that's not going to rob the tourist (that would be me) blind.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 11:50am
It's a simple job putting one back on,20mins tops so should not cost you much.
Optimus View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 12:33pm
Yes, I know, had a look in the service manual after downloading it with 50-60kbps :)

But don't forget the tourist trap part, I strongly doubt I can get away with less then 150 quid, with the car stuck in the hotel parking lot and me trying to discuss service prices with forks who only speak bits of broken English...
Optimus View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 12:44pm
 And the worst part is that I run the risk to be essentially taken for a long ride once the car is jacked up in the shop. 
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 10:53pm
I would suggest in that case, if you don't want to trust/negotiate with them, you have the manual, go buy the tools and do it insitu. Hopefully it will just be the heat expanding the belt, at worst you have a pulley issue.
Optimus View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 9:51am
Thanks, this is pretty much what I also had in mind after contemplating the alternatives. Any tips on how to proceed?
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:09am
I have no idea on the 1.6 engine what the tensioning mechanism is
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:32am
You'll have to take off the alt belt also as the one that's jumped come off goes behind that on the crank pulley..

For the alt belt, slacken off the idler pulley halfway up on the block,there's one central nut ect,then almost out a slight is a long 10mm adjusting bolt just to the top of the air con compressor, thats what tensions that belt.Thats all there is to it for that belt.

The pas/water belt is adjusted by undoing the side tensioner bolt (12mm iirc) and the main bolt which is also a 12mm towards the back of the pas pump,but BEFORE you try and do them,loosen the lower pas pump pivot bolt from under the engine/car,if you try and tension the belt without doing this you'll end up bending the tensioner bracket.Thats it for this belt.Dont forget to nip up the main pas pump bolt again once tensioned otherwise the pump will be on a angle due to the belt pulling on it.

I know this as it's the same for a qg15/18de engine which I've had and done in the past.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>