Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 rear caliper piston/seal refurb
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 rear caliper piston/seal refurb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bohica View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 rear caliper piston/seal refurb
    Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 10:59am
Thanks imckay,

I am looking at a seal kit on ebay £15 for both sides, you may be right just the major seal and inner seal will look at the piston and see if I can save it with some 2000 grade paper using a very light touch.

I too tried long nosed pliers but with them both being utter pigs by the end of the operation (when I gave up on the second one) my hand felt like it had been put through a mincer, all the time I am thinking it should not be this hard to get the piston back in the cylinder. I tried opening the bleed nipple to see if it was a pressure thing but still not joy.

I have a spare caliper from my old micra I will disassemble that and see how its put together, its not the same but if I can get the piston and old seal out and in again it might give me the confidence to have a go at this.

many thanks for the information and the link. 

Paul K.
I think therefor I am.
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 10:12am
Welcome to NPOC Paul

Brakes International do a Refurb Caliper for £75
They also have repair Pistons and Caliper Refurb Kit.
Caliper is a quick fix. With refurb you have the risk of something going wrong and being without the Car.

Have a look on Youtube for Rear Brake Caliper Rebuild.
This one is quite detailed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q2F2tbquY4 
Should give you an idea of what the various Seals are for.
You may get away with just replacing the Piston, Piston Seal and Inner Seal

I have always used Pliers to rewind Pistons.
A Rewind Tool would make the job a bit easier.
Bohica View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 9:30am
Hi Timeshock,

I have the manual but what I need is information as to the difficulty or tools required for this job but thanks for you input :-) 

Paul K.
I think therefor I am.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 9:25am

I recommend you download the free electronic service manual following the link below

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-factory-service-manuals_topic29493.html
Bohica View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 11:20pm
Hi Folks,

My recently purchased P12 is turning into a massive money pit, so far in the 2 weeks I have had the car I have had to replace the exhaust, both front lower suspension arms/bushes plus drop links (over £400 worth of work) and today I tried to fit new brake pads in my rear brakes only to find that it took almost 3 hours to get one of the pistons to retract enough for the new pads BUT I had no joy at all with the near side caliper. 

I have looked at kits to replace the seals/piston which are not too expensive BUT I can't find a definitive step by step procedure for doing the job, plus there are several parts/seals that I have no idea where they go.

If anyone has done this job can they give me some idea of how difficult it is and are any special tools required? I rate myself as a reasonable mechanic not good, not great but I can do most "simple" jobs but I don't break down and rebuild engines. (side note does anyone know of a tool to wind back the piston?)

I think a strip down, clean out and new piston and major seal should do the trick but I am open to advice.

Many thanks,

Paul K.

I think therefor I am.
 Post Reply Post Reply