Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 power steering issue :-(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camino3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 power steering issue :-(
    Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 1:46am
My Primera P11 is in reasonable condition. Good Engine and Transmission ,  no other major mechanical issues, except the power steering gear assembly has developed a leak. Also it has too much play. Looks like a replacement is needed. However based on my research this is going to be very expensive (parts and labour).

Looking through some videos online of the job on similar vehicles - I'm not really confident in tackling this job myself. I only have a basic level of knowledge.

Does this mean the Primera is ready for the scrapheap ? I just worry that spending a lot of cash on the repair on an ageing vehicle isn't good economics. There might be other issues that develop in the near future for example.

So I'm thinking what I should do. Does anyone have any advice ? Worth tackling the job myself ? I just have a picture of myself pulling a whole lot of bits out of the car and then getting stuck. Now the vehicle is immobile.

What about getting a used steering gear assembly ? Is it a waste of time as it might already be worn. Would be a headache if it developed a fault in 6 mths time.

Thanks for any comments.

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 12:22pm
Your better getting a good used oe steering rack if it needs replacing.The aftermarket ones can leak from the seals within a short time.

Maybe worth replacing the inner and outer track rods ends at the same time.. then there's no play elsewhere.

You will need an wheel alignment when finished ideally.

The steering rack job isn't too bad really,I recently replaced mine.
Camino3000 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camino3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 9:02pm
Thanks for the advice. How long did it take you to replace the steering rack ? I'm going to look around for parts and then decide if it is worth tackling.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 10:48pm
About an 1hr i'd guess.

Drain the pas fluid,

Remove outer track rod end from hubs (17mm or 19m nuts depending on what's been fitted)

Remove the clamps for the rack..2 x 14mm each

Remove the 4 x 10mm nuts for the rubber column cover and there's a clip which needs to be removed

Undo the rack 13mm pinch bolt iirc to column clamp which is spined then alls that left is the metal pas pipes to the rack to remove

Which are 14mm and a 17mm

Before removing the pinch bolt ,make an alignment mark (use paint) so you know it goes back in the same place (there is a dot mark for this to start with but it's hard to see)

Make sure the steering wheel and steering rack is self centred which I think was 2 and a half complete turns.    

You may have to also remove the inside cover bottom of the dash pedal area to help see to line it up and pull it through to the u joint on the column,this is the worse part of the job ie putting the rack into position and hoping it stays up while you can tighten the clamp bolt up from the other side,if you tighten down the rack first you cant do it as it's then to short to reach,

It would be much easier with 2 people. One to hold the rack and one to tighten it together by the pinch bolt.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camino3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 4:41am
Thanks for the steps. Did you need to remove any parts of the exhaust or chassis members to get access to the power steering rack ? 
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 4:00pm
Crossmember can stay where it's at. Exhaust can stay where it's at although it may help you get better access if removed.

FWIW I did mine with the engine already out so it was a ideal time to replace it.
Stoatwblr View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatwblr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 10:46pm
My '03 P12 developed a leak on the input shaft seal at about 4 years old.

The stealership cost was about 800 to replace and about the same again for labour.

I got the _whole thing_ reconditioned at Power Steering Services in Greenwich for about 600 in 4 hours (they didn't have one in stock so they removed, reconned and refitted the original unit in that period)

http://www.power-steering.co.uk

What the guys found was that the input shaft o-ring had partially popped out, so they machined an extra groove in the shaft and added a second o-ring (it's now part of their standard recon procedure) If you get a OE rack you'll get the single-o-ring and the risk of the thing blowing out again.

The car's now 15 years old and the only other steering problem was play in the universal joint on the  intermediate shaft between the steering column and the PS input shaft, causing a pretty annoying rattle. It's part of the intermediate shaft and it's easy enough to replace the entire part (about 40 quid), if a little fiddly.

I'd give them a call and see what they quote.

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camino3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 3:51am
Thanks. I'm still pondering what to do. My car is in OK condition but at 20+ yrs old, any large spend is probably not going to be economic.

Does anyone know about the power steering adjustment screw ? What is the purpose of that ? Could it be used to reduce the play in the steering rack ? I looked in the manual and it seems it is used to adjust pinion rotating torque. Does it have any effect on the play ?

Also it seems to have this 8 pointed star (double square) opening that is needed to do the adjustment - is a special tool needed ? I can barely reach it with my hand so I don't know how easy it is to adjust while on the vehicle.
 Post Reply Post Reply