Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera p11 wheel bearing noise?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera p11 wheel bearing noise?
    Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 6:13pm
My old p11 wagon seems to generate abit of noise coming from the front passenger side area whilst driving. It has always done this. At first it slightly annoyed me but have sort of become used to it.

Its not that bad but would be good to get it silent. Always goes through MOT's without tester commenting on wheel bearing movement or suchlike.

I presume it is either the wheel bearing or driveshaft possibly?

Any comments or ideas for things to check?

How could I locate the issue. Doesn't seem to make any noticible difference if the cars in gear or if I notch it out of gear, say rolling down a hill, still a slight sort of rumble/ 'whirr' type noise from the front passenger side.

Meant to get round to changing the gear oil also but figured before I do that better check I can get the drain bolt out first!
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 6:21pm
Most likely to be a bearing if it's when rolling,the sound may change pitch when cornering and the hum noise normally get's louder as the speed gets higher.

Most times when bad the wheel will have play in it but that's not always the case,

Bad cv joint and it click rapidly when on full lock.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:00pm
Thanks P11primeragt- yes probably does slightly get louder with speed- I guess the bearing is alot less hassle and less expensive than driveshaft which I thought it could have been.
Yes, not a clicking sound or anything, more just a sort of 'hum' noise slightly 'whirring', yea prob more of a humming noise for sure. I mean its nothing bad and you can live with it but will have a crack at changing the bearing in the spring maybe.
Preuming will need to press it in etc? Is it a difficult job on the Primera?
I did one on a Renault years back and used heat to get it in, which not sure was correct? Anyway- did it and seemed ok, although I may even have been abit heavy handed.

Just saw an older thread and looks like it could be abit of a song and dance...?

or best to leave alone if its not got any play and the slight noise remains bearable?

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:28pm
I'd change the bearing if it's suspect. Spin the wheel if it sounds like sand then it's bad.

The fronts yes need pressing in.I recently did mine and took the hubs off.Makes it's far easier to get your press on the bearing etc.

Got lots of pics of the job so if you need any of anything let me know but you should be fine. The main thing is to renew the bearing hub seal and make sure the bearing is squarely located.

Some bearing kits come with the seal..

The bearing press kit is around £20 iirc.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 11:24pm
Thanks Brian- you are a gem! Will tap you up for info / pics etc (bearing) maybe in the spring- when I would attempt it.
...Other than that the car is great.

Mpg not as good as it was but still does 40Mpg on a run (did do about 45 ) and about 28 round town. Thing is as solid as a rock still really and running great generally!!

Will clean the EGR also in the near future.
ATB.Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply