Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12: upgrade to LED lights/bulbs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12: upgrade to LED lights/bulbs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lukish View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12: upgrade to LED lights/bulbs
    Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 8:08pm

P12 hatchback from 2006.

Now that I’ve fixed the earth problem with the rear lights, I’d like to upgrade most lights to LEDs.

So here’s what I’ve gathered. Currently, the car has the following (this applies to the hatchback version):

Brake bulbs: 382 P21W, socket BA15S, white, single filament. There are 2 such bulbs each side, behind red lens (apart from the one for reversing which is behind a clear lens).

Indicator bulbs: same bulb as above, namely 382 P21W, socket BA15S, white, single filament. There is one such bulb each side, behind orange lens.

Sidelights/tail lights/position lights bulbs: R5W, socket BA15S (i.e. same socket as brake and indicators), white behind red lens. There are 3 such bulbs each side.

I’ve read online that they recommend that, if the LEDs are going to be behind tinted lens in older cars that didn't come with leds as standard, then you should still buy LED bulbs with the same colour of the lens, rather than a white LED bulbs, as it is going to be much more visible. So I will need 4 red LED bulbs equivalent to P21W, 2 amber LED bulbs equivalent to P21W, and 6 red LED bulbs equivalent to R5W.

So, with all those points, here’s my problem.

I have found some P21w LED equivalent, CANBUS compatible bulbs for the brake bulbs and indicator bulbs.

However, I cannot find R5W LED equivalent, CANBUS compatible bulbs.

As I said, on the p12 hatchback (I don’t know about saloon or estate) both the P21W and the R5W have the exact same socket BA15S.

So if I use the exact same P21w equivalent LED bulbs for the 6 position light bulbs that I would also use for the brake and indicator bulbs, would the position lights still be dimmer than the brake lights, or would they be just as bright? If the latter, then it is probably illegal, and it means I cannot use LEDs for the position lights.

Does anybody have an answer, or even better has already done so successfully and has suggestions as to the specific LED bulbs to buy?

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply