Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 advice please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 advice please
    Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:54pm
Hi All,
I am looking to become a Primera owner wanted to ask an owner's club what issues relating to this version I should look out for/avoid.
I'm not placing a wanted ad - I have a car in mind; If any club members could send advice it would be greatly appreciated.
I drive an 1.8L '03 Toyota, which is fine but the Primera is supposed to be more of a driver's car. Can you advise a decent engine size for non-performance driving but entertaining.
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 7:12am
Welcome to NPOC,

There is the P11 (97 to 99) and the P11-144 (99-02)
Not many available now.

The 2.0 is the most robust Engine. Around 140BHP in non GT P11 and all 144s. 150 BHP in P11 GT
1.6 a little under powered.
1.8 VVT in the P11-144 is good but the Cam Chains can and do stretch.

I had a P11 1.6 Si
And a P11-144 2.0 Sport which was much nicer to drive.
Rust is probably the thing to look for but I have not had a Primera for about 8 Years.
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 1:41pm
My Primera was rust free even after 20 years, but that depends on the climate, the roads etc.

I say they are so cheap now that you should definitely get the 2.0 SR engine. You should be very happy with that. Go for P11-144 if you can since it's newer and you already drive a 2003, so no poing in going much further back i think...
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 7:28pm
Biggest problem is going to be finding a solid one these days.

Longbow View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 12:54pm
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies, I was thinking of P11-144, as I just like the overall styling look & layout of controls; My avensis has the audio & a/c a bit low...
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 2:07pm
Just make sure you get one of the 2.0L engines and the car is generally in good shape & you should be good.
nyaxea View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyaxea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 4:21pm
I own  PRIMERA P11  bought new at 2000..I havent encounter any major problems...one major disadvantage ,as someone mentioned above not many available now thus creating a shortage of parts.I converted it to run on LPG (clocked 200000 km).

d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 5:16pm
I have an old '99 P11 Wagon- 1.6 just before the P11-144 came out. Rust abit of an issue around the rear sills near the wheels but mine was 'professionally' welded by the former owner. I reckon though a thicker guage steel should have been used as the plating what with the heat stress from the welds the new plates could start rotting, defo abit on the thin side! So not totally impressed by these 'professional' welds! Front also rots abit near the arches but heck it is about 20 years old!

Very few issues with mine, really reliable and handles surprisingly nice and get 40mpg on a run, used to get even more a few years ago but seems to have lessened, get about 28mpg round town. For such a heavy car it is reasonably powerful also.

Parts can be abit confusing to buy as what with mine being right close to the p11-144 series there seems to be alot of variants and can get muddled. Bought a new rotor arm for it the other month- didn't fit, probably wrong variant- this has always been abit of a problem, what also with it being the even rarer wagon, which makes the variants even more confusing when buying parts. Luckily the old thing is so reliable it rarely needs parts though. Great cars really- well mine seems to be given its age.
Oh- Rocker covers can leak abit and be a pain to seal- but suppose many cars can have that issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply